ZSNES Save (SRM&ZST) paths

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

orwannon
Rookie

ZSNES Save (SRM&ZST) paths

Post by orwannon »

Hi everyone,

I just thought I'd let you know about certain things I ran into when I tried the new ZSNES.

My computer: AMD Athlon64 3200+
My OS: Windows XP SP2
ZSNES version: ZSNES Win v1.42 Jan 19 2005 using new GFX engine and 2XSAI engine

I've organized my ROMs in multiple directories, that is, there is one directory for each ROM. The thing is, I want ZSNES to put the respective SRM file into the same directory as the ROM it corresponds to (e.g. CHRONO.SRM should be in the CHRONO TRIGGER directory, where my CHRONO.SMC ROM sits as well). This, however, does not work, or, to be exact, it works just once. If I restart ZSNES, all other SRM files will be placed in the CHRONO TRIGGER directory.
Hence, I tried to modify the Saves Path in the CONFIG / PATHS / SAVES setting. Clearing the path name, however, does not have any effect since any new ROM I open will put its folder in there once the ROM is loaded. I even tried to edit the savefile directory manually at the very bottom of the configuration file ZSNESW.CFG in the ZSNES directory. There is a comment that says "Leave it blank if you want the save files to be in the same directory as the games." This, however, does not work either. ZSNES just puts the directory of the last ROM I opened in there. I even tried to enable "DON'T SAVE CUR PATH" in CONFIG / OPTIONS, without any luck.
Would it be possible to fix that problem (so as to make sure the directory is left blank by ZSNES and SRM files are placed in their respective ROM folders)?
BTW, it seems as though this problem is not restricted to SRM files, but includes the handling of ZS* savestate files as well.

Also, I noted that there are two options windows in ZSNES that are not like any other window, meaning that their title bars and Close buttons are missing, which requires the Esc key to be pressed in order to close them. Also, these two windows cannot be moved (as opposed to any other ZSNES window). These two windows are CONFIG / CHIP CFG and CONFIG / SAVES. It would be nice if they were movable and closable just like the others.

And last but not least, the intro of Super Dante RPG Maker 2 (jap) doesn't seem to have been fixed yet ... the Mode 7 flight across the map is still screwed up. :roll:

Hope the ZSNES team can do something about these issues ... Anyway, I really appreciate your great work, guys, and hope you keep it up! Thanks a lot! :)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The current fomar of the config file doesn't allow what you'd want it to do. If you leave the save path blank, all SRAM and states are saved to the same directory where Zsnes(w).exe is located.

Only one diretcory for all saves now, and I don't think it will change anytime soon. Why just not keep all states and SRAM in a single directory?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
orwannon
Rookie

Post by orwannon »

As you can imagine, this is no solution for me since I would have to rearrange my whole ROM collection in order to avoid excessive chaos. Besides, this feature used to be in ZSNES - every SRM file used to be kept in the same folder as its ROM. I wonder why they changed that but left the commentary in the CFG file, which suggests it still works. :?: :cry:
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

It is quite natural for the developers to assume that users keep all their games in the same folder. Most people do that, why won't you? 8)

If you ask me keeping every game in a separate directory is unthinkable.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
orwannon
Rookie

Post by orwannon »

It's just my way of doing it, keeping my ROMs together with my SRMs, ZSTs and information files. Please accept that, as I accept yours. Moreover, it shouldn't be too great a problem to have ZSNES leave the Saves Path blank. The question is: Are the coders willing to implement this option?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

That's the right question, since it would have to be added. That 'feature' was a pain for many other users, and now zsnes is compiled in a way that prevents it.
Now some people like you, who actually liked that 'feature', want it back. The problem is, there never was a feature to begin with, since it was caused by zsnes lacking a set directory for its saves.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
orwannon
Rookie

Post by orwannon »

I'm glad that there are others who think as I do. Thanks grinvader! :)
I have no doubt that the ZSNES coders will find a way to implement both variants of handling Save files.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

orwannon wrote: I have no doubt that the ZSNES coders will find a way to implement both variants of handling Save files.
You betcha, just gimme some time to think of the best way to do it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by orwannon »

Thanks Nach, I knew I could count on you. :D
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

orwannon wrote:I'm glad that there are others who think as I do. Thanks grinvader! :)
I have no doubt that the ZSNES coders will find a way to implement both variants of handling Save files.
I keep my roms in separate folders too. Instead in one big of a mess of a folder.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Personally, I don't understand why people don't set a set location for their save files.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Kagerato »

I'd say it's probably some sort of compulsive organization. Each game is its own "entity" to them, and not part of a larger whole. Therefore, it must be separated from all the others.

If you ask me, it's a form of segregation ;)
Dmog
Lurker

Post by Dmog »

Kagerato wrote:I'd say it's probably some sort of compulsive organization. Each game is its own "entity" to them, and not part of a larger whole. Therefore, it must be separated from all the others.
Thank you Dr Moronskovich for that poor analysis.

Actually, those who are -somewhat- experienced with OS like windows knows that it's never a good idea to put every files in a single folder. You can also install every program in the same directory...but it's probably not the best idea you know? :?

Doesn't have anything to do with "compusive organization" It's just much easier to manage if you have to do some cleaning up or what have you. You save time and you also avoid any possible conflict too.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I keep everything in one folder so that I don't have to set directories up all the time, and to me it is not messy. I can just arrange by filetype if I need to split them up.

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I keep all my emulators in seperate folders, as well as the Roms and saves. For example:
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo would get me to my Nintendo section.
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo\ROMs would take me to my NES ROMs
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo\saves are where all my saves, etc are stored.
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo\<Insert random emu here>\someemulator.exe starts that particular emulator.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

adventure_of_link wrote:I keep all my emulators in seperate folders, as well as the Roms and saves. For example:
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo would get me to my Nintendo section.
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo\ROMs would take me to my NES ROMs
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo\saves are where all my saves, etc are stored.
C:\Games\Emulators\Nintendo\<Insert random emu here>\someemulator.exe starts that particular emulator.
My directory structure is the same except my emulation root is simply C:\Emulators\
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I have it organized somewhat differently.

D:\ROMS\NINTENDO\SNES
D:\ROMS\NINTENDO\SNES\NOT-EMU
D:\ROMS\NINTENDO\NES
D:\ROMS\SNK\NGPOCKET
etc...

D:\EMU\NINTENDO\SNES
D:\EMU\NINTENDO\SNES\SAVES
D:\EMU\CAPCOM\ZN
etc...

Post by Kagerato »

Dmog wrote:Thank you Dr Moronskovich for that poor analysis.

Actually, those who are -somewhat- experienced with OS like windows knows that it's never a good idea to put every files in a single folder. You can also install every program in the same directory...but it's probably not the best idea you know? :?

Doesn't have anything to do with "compusive organization" It's just much easier to manage if you have to do some cleaning up or what have you. You save time and you also avoid any possible conflict too.
If you found my post insulting, I apologize. It was primarily a joke.

Since I don't run Windows on this Gentoo box, most of my files are organized according to the FHS (filesystem hierarchy standard). This standard often encourages program binaries to be placed in the same folder (/usr/bin has the most, for example).

There is no "best" form of organization, nor did I mean to imply there was.
orwannon
Rookie

Post by orwannon »

I don't see any use in everybody posting their directory structure. But it might be interesting for those in doubt to learn that there are people who do it another way, which in my opinion should not be easily discarded as worse than theirs or worth posting silly jokes about.
You know, I see the game itself as an entity - not the game collection. So I have a folder "Final Fantasy VI", and there's everything related to this game in it - ROMs (yes, there are several versions), saves, savestates, images (screenshots, scans), information textfiles, game-specific ROM hacking documents, music files, tech stuff, and much more. Same goes for my other ROMs. Maybe this is an explanation why I see any use in a feature allowing ZSNES to put the SRM files in the same directory as the ROMs they belong to. Please respect that as I respect your way of handling your files. EOF.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Would it be possible to have ZSNES check for a confg file in the directory the ROM is in? If so, we could add it to the Options dialog.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Dmog wrote:Actually, those who are -somewhat- experienced with OS like windows knows that it's never a good idea to put every files in a single folder. You can also install every program in the same directory...but it's probably not the best idea you know? :?
That's more because Windows explorer sucks. If you used KDE you wouldn't have this problem, because recent versions of Konqueror work just fine with huge numbers of files in one directory.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
orwannon
Rookie

Post by orwannon »

It now works both in the Feb 3 and Feb 10 WIPs. Thanks Nach! :)

One more thing though, I haven't found an option to have ZSNES store SRAMs/ZSTs in one specific folder (for those who want that). Probably you'll just have to put the path in the CFG file ... (?)

Anyway, thanks again and keep up the great work!
JAPPsmash
Rookie

Post by JAPPsmash »

I did the following...

I have created a "Save" folder and put all my ZST and SRM files in there.

Then I have configured my save path in ZSNESW 1.42...

And save works :)

And yes, I have my ROMs in ZIP format, so it won't take too much space :P

Since the current ZSNES WIP (1.43 to be exact) is in WIP state, I use it only for testing purposes.
Butters
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

JAPPsmash wrote:I did the following...

I have created a "Save" folder and put all my ZST and SRM files in there.

http://img80.exs.cx/img80/6677/nuevo44eb.jpg

Then I have configured my save path in ZSNESW 1.42...

http://img101.exs.cx/img101/3074/nuevo55mf.jpg

And save works :)
That's exactly how mine is, except the folder is named "saves".
And yes, I have my ROMs in ZIP format, so it won't take too much space :P
For SNES ROMs, JMA is better than ZIP. In fact, it's the best one available.
JAPPsmash
Rookie

Post by JAPPsmash »

JMA? I though ZSNES only recognizes ZIP... What is the program to compress to JMA?
Butters