Windows XP Service Pack 2 ZSNES Report

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

LDAWG
Lurker

Windows XP Service Pack 2 ZSNES Report

Post by LDAWG »

I have tried the last couple of WIPs and also the last Official Build 1.36 of ZSNES,
all running under the FINAL RTM Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.
This means that I also have DirectX 9.0c Installed.

All Versions, that I've tried of ZSNES, run flawlessly in XP Service Pack 2.

NOTE: When Serving a ZSNES Netplay Game,
Windows XP Service Pack 2 will need your input to open a hole in the new Firewall.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 was Released Yesterday (August 6, 2004).
PRESS RELEASE:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres ... unchPR.asp
PFUNK
Rookie

Re: Windows XP Service Pack 2 ZSNES Report

Post by PFUNK »

LDAWG wrote:I have tried the last couple of WIPs and also the last Official Build 1.36 of ZSNES,
all running under the FINAL RTM Service Pack 2 for Windows XP.
This means that I also have DirectX 9.0c Installed.

All Versions, that I've tried of ZSNES, run flawlessly in XP Service Pack 2.

NOTE: When Serving a ZSNES Netplay Game,
Windows XP Service Pack 2 will need your input to open a hole in the new Firewall.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 was Released Yesterday (August 6, 2004).
PRESS RELEASE:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/pres ... unchPR.asp
Are you sure Service Pack 2 was released? I was just at another site and in red it says "This file is no longer available as we (and Microsoft) have reasons to believe it was not a genuine version. The official one will be available here as soon as it is released." Here's the link. http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/13/9/13-9-177.shtml. The file is also dated as having been released August 6th.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

The title of the article is Microsoft Releases Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies to Computer Manufacturers. So wouldn't that mean it's not availible to the general public yet?
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

It's available to MSDN suscribers and beta testers since yesterday, it's going to be available for average customers beggining from monday I think. However, you can get the final release as of now in some peer to peer networks, just make sure it's the official version (WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, 266.01 MB, MD5: 59A98F181FE383907E520A391D75B5A7). If you download it before Microsoft lets you, make sure the .EXE is signed with a Microsoft certificate.
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

Hmm. 266 megs?

How about you choke on my dick instead, Microsoft? I've never had a problem with viruses before that I couldn't fix in 30 seconds and I highly doubt your quarter-gig bloatware will suddenly make my computer the Fortress of Solitude.
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

It will be Released to Web for Download on microsoft.com on August 10th, 2004.
It'll be on Windows Update on August 25th, 2004.
It was Released to Manufacturing, MSDN Subscribers, and Beta Testers Yesterday August 6th, 2004.

My IT Manager at Work, who is a MSDN Subscriber, gave it to me.

Service Pack 2 is actually pretty cool:
- a crapload of Bug Fixes
- BIG Internet Explorer Upgrade (kind of FireFox-like now)
- Windows Media Player 9 works a hell of a lot better now
- NEW Wireless Control Panel App that kicks arse! (My Laptop got a boner over this!)
- SUPPORT FOR and a NEW Bluetooth App built-into the OS! (I have a Bluetooth Mouse and PDA, HELL YA!)
- IP Version 6 and a WAY better Firewall (Zone Alarm Pro is still better, but Software Firewalls suck anyway)
- You can now Filter-out Updates in "Add/Remove Programs"
- A LOT OF PEOPLE are reporting that Doom 3 and Far Cry run WAY better in Service Pack 2 (due to DirectX 9.0c)
HalfShadow wrote:Hmm. 266 megs?

How about you choke on my dick instead, Microsoft? I've never had a problem with viruses before that I couldn't fix in 30 seconds and I highly doubt your quarter-gig bloatware will suddenly make my computer the Fortress of Solitude.
Are you 12 ?
Do 12 Year Olds even play SNES Games ?
Why are you here ?
XP Service Pack 2 is probably the dopest MS Update.

The ONLY thing that I could of wished for more,
would be 100% Perfect DOS Emulation with bad arse Sound Support :)
Poor DOS.
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

Ah. Yes. And of course I'm supposed to believe the testimony of someone who actually uses the term 'dope' to describe something with (I assume) a straight face.

This 'update' offers me nothing I need that I don't effectively already have, and the quarter gig of hard drive space would be much better served being used for other purposes.
LDAWG wrote:Service Pack 2 is actually pretty cool:
(for bugs which shouldn't really be there in the first place, but hey, let's just ignore that' shall we?)
LDAWG wrote:- BIG Internet Explorer Upgrade (kind of FireFox-like now)
Irrelevant.
LDAWG wrote:- Windows Media Player 9 works a hell of a lot better now
Also irrelevant. I stopped using that as soon as I became aware there were better media players. That was several seconds.
LDAWG wrote:- NEW Wireless Control Panel App that kicks arse! (My Laptop got a boner over this!)
I'm getting tired of saying 'irrelevant' so...
LDAWG wrote:- SUPPORT FOR and a NEW Bluetooth App built-into the OS! (I have a Bluetooth Mouse and PDA, HELL YA!)
Oops, now I have to say it again...
LDAWG wrote:- IP Version 6 and a WAY better Firewall (Zone Alarm Pro is still better, but Software Firewalls suck anyway)
I have Zone Alarm Pro, so...Can you guess what I'm gonna say?
LDAWG wrote:- You can now Filter-out Updates in "Add/Remove Programs"
Or you could, y'know, just refuse to download them when it gives you the pop-up.
LDAWG wrote:- A LOT OF PEOPLE are reporting that Doom 3 and Far Cry run WAY better in Service Pack 2 (due to DirectX 9.0c)
I don't have either game. Oh dear, there goes the 'I' word again.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

HalfShadow wrote:Hmm. 266 megs?

LMAO. But let's get back to the 266MB thingy here. WTF?! Does the dark lord Bill Gates expect us to tie up our phone lines just to get protected?! I think he expects us all to ahve broadband, which right now, is a minority of us. =\ The majority still use 56k... even me... I confess... x.x..
PS: And I thought the Dev version of DX9.0c was bad enough... 33.4MB. Oh well, it's worth it, both my 98SE puters need a complete reinstall anyhow :wink:
PPS: Would this be a good time to switch to Linux? :wink:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The automatic update which you will pick up through Windows Update or automatic update checker, or the express web installer which will also be released, it should definitely be smaller.

For those who participated in the testing, or acquired leaked copies, and have RC2 installed, the update should be as little as about 30MB.

For those who have SP1 or SP1a and are up to date with Windows Update, it might be about 70MB.

~266MB gets you everything you would need to bring a base Windows XP installation up to date.

If you want to save yourself some bandwidth either way, you can order it on CD. When it's out for the general public, of course.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:For those who have SP1 or SP1a and are up to date with Windows Update, it might be about 70MB....
.....If you want to save yourself some bandwidth either way, you can order it on CD. When it's out for the general public, of course.
Ahh.. *breathes a sigh of relief* That's good to hear :D Still, 70MB depending on the fact you keep window's patched?! Still kinda on el hefty side though... Hmm... that would take me aboot 4 hours, a better estimate would be 4 hours and 30 minits though. I'm basing this on the fact that I got a kick-ass accelerator and the fact that I downloaded the dev version of DX9.0c.
Disclaimer: I used download accelerator plus to get my copy of DX9.0c, so my ISP's acceleerator didn't kick in. But thank gawd FireFox 0.9.3 has a nice download manager, plus, my accelerator kicks in :D
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Whoops, you jumped on that one a bit too soon, SP2 comes with DirectX 9.0c.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

HAHAHAHAHA. That's a good one.

Or does it really fix all the positioning bugs and add full support for CSS 1 and 2?
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

HalfShadow wrote:
(for bugs which shouldn't really be there in the first place, but hey, let's just ignore that' shall we?)
All software has bugs. I guess you like them...?
HalfShadow wrote:
Irrelevant.
Not really. A lot of apps are based on IE.
HalfShadow wrote:
Also irrelevant. I stopped using that as soon as I became aware there were better media players. That was several seconds.
What "better media players"? I hope you aren't talking about anything from RealMedia. Even the "alternative" players have problems. I don't see anything wrong with WMP9. Absolutely no reason to use an alternative player (unless you can provide one).
HalfShadow wrote:
LDAWG wrote:- NEW Wireless Control Panel App that kicks arse! (My Laptop got a boner over this!)
Your computer will go obsolete and be ignored before you ever even attempt to use new hardware with it?
HalfShadow wrote:
LDAWG wrote:- SUPPORT FOR and a NEW Bluetooth App built-into the OS! (I have a Bluetooth Mouse and PDA, HELL YA!)
^have to say it again...
HalfShadow wrote:
LDAWG wrote:- IP Version 6 and a WAY better Firewall (Zone Alarm Pro is still better, but Software Firewalls suck anyway)
I thought you didn't like bloatware?
HalfShadow wrote:
Or you could, y'know, just refuse to download them when it gives you the pop-up.
What?! You refuse to download an update when you were notified of a vulnerability in your system? Dumbass. No wonder you need a firewall :roll:
HalfShadow wrote:
LDAWG wrote:- A LOT OF PEOPLE are reporting that Doom 3 and Far Cry run WAY better in Service Pack 2 (due to DirectX 9.0c)
I'm pretty sure that DirectX improvements affect a lot more than just two games. Those are just two games that people are currently paying close attention to.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

This update seems good. :P
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Locke

Post by Locke »

Service Pack 2 is a much needed update. Here's some more info on the release below.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5610539/

Hopefully, this update will make it harder for PCs to get infected with viruses like the Bagle virus. The Bagle virus being the one that allows spammers to send large amounts of spam through infected computers.

Wow. I did not know that service pack 2 includes DirectX 9.0c. The timing of the release is perfect for me. I'm sure I'll have it installed by the time I pick up Doom 3 on August 27th. 8)
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I've been using SP2 (RC2) for a while now. All is fine. Took about half an hour to download on my crappy ISDN-type connection and 266MB (or whatever the size of this thing is) is hardly any space for me or anyone with a comp bought in the last two years and is already running XP. No applications broken to boot.

For businesses/schools etc. that use XP, this update will give adequate protection from intrusion attempts. For us home users who have a choice, it may not matter as much, but as pointed out, IE is also used by a number of other applications, so is worth the update.

DirectX 9.0c (although it is available on it's own) is practically compulsory for the 6800 series of NVIDIA cards in order for SM3.0 support to even work, and also provides bugfixes to older DX versions that can aid perfromance on older cards too.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

kode54 wrote:Whoops, you jumped on that one a bit too soon, SP2 comes with DirectX 9.0c.
OK, let's say I already got DX9.0c (which I do :wink:) Would that reduce the amt of megabytes for SP2 or would DX9.0c be overwritten by the SP2 install?
NSRT here.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

It should not need to download files which are already on your computer. Having DX9.0c installed will reduce your overall download time if you use the dynamic SP2 installation.

Another thing that I really like about SP2 is that it prompts you before running executable files. Now newbies who have their filename extensions hidden will be able to tell the difference between executable files and data files.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Ahh thanks dude... Hmm... after the estimate made earlier (the one if you keep window's updated and you don't have DX9.0c), and the DX9.0c dev edition download.... it should only take... aboot 2-2.5 hours to complete for me :P
NSRT here.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

HalfShadow wrote:
Irrelevant.
1. You try to write millions and millions of lines of code that are 100% bug free. I don't think so.

2. It's not irrelavent that the most used web browser in the world got a huge update with tons of fixes.

3. I agree on this one, wmp9 sucks shit.

4. As I don't use wireless myself I can't really comment on this, but I'm sure an easier to use wireless config panel would be a good thing.

5. Bluetooth is to slow for periphrials(sp?) in my opinion, so whatever.

6. Any firewall is better than nothing, so a better firewall is always better.

7. Yes, not downloading fixes for the latest exploits and worms is a good thing. :roll:

8. An increase in game preformance is always welcomed.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Is DX9c included with Doom 3? or I have to download SP2 to get it?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

darkfalz
Rookie

Post by darkfalz »

Joe Camacho wrote:Is DX9c included with Doom 3? or I have to download SP2 to get it?
Doom 3 is OpenGL based. Anyone who claims DX9c made it run faster than with DX9b has an overactive imagination.

Yes, Doom 3 uses DX for basic sound output, but as we all know, the FPS in this game are more or less 100% dependant on GPU and card drivers.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Call me lazy but, I wasn't in the mood to download it, I hoped it was packaged with D3, anyway I'm already downloading it; I hope this fixes other game crashes I have been experimenting.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

Doom 3 asks if you want to Install DirectX 9.0b after you Install the Game.
I'm not sure why it even cares to...
Also, I'm not sure why people are saying that it runs better, since it is an OpenGL Game...
Maybe it's for Sound/Music, Controller Input, and Networking.
There's more to DirectX than just "Direct3D"
Doom 3 does recommend that you have a 6.1 Surround Sound System,
which I guess could be a little taxing on some systems.

Doom 3 Worry Free Specs:
- 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 chip or AMD Athlon 64 3000+.
- 1 gigabyte of memory.
- Two gigabytes of hard drive space.
- An nVidia 6800 graphics card or an ATI X800XT
- 6.1 surround sound audio

BUT for sure, Fry Cry works way better in DirectX 9.0c.
Especially on nVidia Hardware.
That I can say, personally.

Too bad ZSNES doesn't get a performance boost :)

Anyway, I'm loving the XP Service Pack 2.
It should be available for Download on http://www.microsoft.com tomorrow (August 10, 2004).
My system seems a lot happier after the install :)