Comp Restarts when I use ZSNES...Help Me!!!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Entity0fLight

Comp Restarts when I use ZSNES...Help Me!!!

Post by Entity0fLight »

Hello People,

I am new here and do not know all about comps or ZSNES so please be patient,lol.

I have a new comp, which I use for internet and D/L and whatnot...and my old comp which I use mainly for games and listening to music...

When I use ZSNES and open it...the comp usually restarts. It may not restart right away but I could be a few minutes into the game, or possibly longer, or maybe as soon as I open up the program the computer restarts. Does anyone know why?

I called up a friend and they mentioned to me that since I use Windows XP Profession 2002 that is what the problem is. I do not know whether to agree or disagree with them since I am sure that many people out there use XP and do not have problems with roms or emulators. Does anyone know what the problem may be and what I can do about it?

Computer:
AMD Athlon (tm) Processor
799 MHz
256 MB of RAM

BTW...previously...like a few years ago or so I was able to use ROMS and Emulators with no problem on the same comp I am describing and ever since then I have actually upgraded some things...like the memory and whatnot...any and all suggestions are welcome...

Thanks a Lot
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I might be that for some reason, everytime you try to start Zsnes, Windows gives you the dreaded BSOD. Windows XP automatically restarts the computer by default whenever a BSOD occurs. As for how to fix it, I haven't got the slightest clue.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Breadfan
Rookie

Post by Breadfan »

Today is the first time something like this has happened to me... Except it wasn't with zsnes, and it was with xp home. My computer simply restarts whenever I enable advanced sound, using an onboard chip (within a certain game (which, I should say, it can handle..)).
Maybe it has something to do with the sound, or some other hardware limitation.
Lower the settings as far as you can to see if you can find joy..

This is just about all I can muster, plundering my limited well of knowlege. :P
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Well, your friend is right about the rebooting and Win Xp, like Agozer said, it's configured as default to reboot instead of showing you the BSOD, you could disable that, sadly I can't remember right now.

For your problem with zsnes, try to upgrade your soundcard and video drivers, also delete zsnes configuration files, make sure you are using the latest WIP:

http://www.ipherswipsite.com/zsnes/
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I think the BSOD reboot could be enabling/disable by going to the System Control Panel ---> Advanced settings tab (or somewhere in there at least).
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Entity0fLight

Post by Entity0fLight »

Heya People,

I wanted to thank everyone for the suggestions. I am going to try a few things out and get back to everyone.

:)