Keyboard keys scrambled in linux console

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

darklegion

Post by darklegion »

By linux console,do you mean svgalib? I've often had keyboard issues with it also and couldn't fix it IIRC.Joypads work fine,however but you probably won't want to do that since the problem should be fixable.You might want to check if it happens in other svgalib programs,then you can narrow it down to your system/svgalib or zsnes which will make figuring out the problem a lot easier.Another good alternative is to use a light X server called Xfbdev,which is capable of running on low RAM and should be relatively fast.You'll be able to dodge the keyboard issues with this method but I can't recall exactly how much ram it will require so it might still be too much for your machine.
If the problem lies in zsnes, it could be the version you are using is the old 1.36 version which may/may not have problems not in newer releases.I used to use a cvs version when I ran zsnes with svgalib but I believe svgalib support has been dropped/broken in the latest releases,so you might have to grab an older cvs release.The last one that had support was around november/december 2004 IIRC.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I can read your mind. Your name is Johan and you are 20 or 21 yers old.
lol
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:I can read your mind. Your name is Johan and you are 20 or 21 yers old.
lol
wtf? I don't get the funny.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Agozer wrote:
Johan_Hanberg wrote:I can read your mind. Your name is Johan and you are 20 or 21 yers old.
lol
Me nether. I just saw that his Screenname was nahoj84 and I was in that mood. Sorry.
tvtoon
Rookie

Post by tvtoon »

Nahoj84 it's actually, a ZSNES linux problem indeed... It happens because he uses (probably, as i don't know much of it) X11 style input... I have fixed it with some code but forgot to put up the solution for Zsnes devs :(... I will make that again, someday, maybe... But i will post here if the problem isn't fixed :D... BTW, if somebody knows most about this problem, please post here ;D...

**Edit : not actually a ZSNES "LINUX" problem but...
Last edited by tvtoon on Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/tvtoon/Avatares/th_tvlogo.png]GO LOGO, GO![/url]
<Renze> "IRC, where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents"
kyo-KUSANAGI
Rookie

Post by kyo-KUSANAGI »

It's still not in the CVS as of today.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:
Agozer wrote:
lol
Me nether. I just saw that his Screenname was nahoj84 and I was in that mood. Sorry.
Way to go, MAN.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

kieran wrote:
Johan_Hanberg wrote:
Agozer wrote:
lol
Way to go, MAN.
What?
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

X doesn't use that much ressources... just use a small window manager, or best of all, just run zsnes directly from .xsession .
kyo-KUSANAGI
Rookie

Post by kyo-KUSANAGI »

for the people who can't be bothered to deal with the crap you have to wade through to install DRI for any non-nVidia chipset, I'd say a working framebuffer zsnes would be the best solution.
On my computer, because my CPU does all the work (because my Savage chipset is rather unstable in DRI) even FCE Ultra is painfully slow.
If you have an nVidia card, lucky you.
tvtoon
Rookie

Post by tvtoon »

bztunk i don't want to start some discussion but, X being fast or slow that is not the point we are trying to aim here... The reason for complaining is because it is made for a SDL port (or so is explained in the docs)... Then, just don't make sense using another input method, understand? :D
If they put Zsnes to run in PURE X11, instead of getting by the SDL, that is REALLY ok, no problem about that... But, making a SDL port with X11 input, IS weird @.@...
[url=http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/tvtoon/Avatares/th_tvlogo.png]GO LOGO, GO![/url]
<Renze> "IRC, where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents"
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I *think* the reason is that SDL doesn't provide the input options that ZSNES needs, but I'm not certain.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I totally randomly fell on this:

Code: Select all

svgakeymap(1)                 Svgalib User Manual                svgakeymap(1)

NAME
       svgakeymap - generates keymaps for svgalib

SYNOPSIS
       svgakeymap [physical_table [program_table]] > output.keymap

DESCRIPTION
       Generates  a  keymap  conversion  file for svgalib(7) from two keytable
       definitions. Keytables are searched for in  /usr/lib/kbd/keytables  and
       are automatically filtered through gzip(1) if necessary.

If  only one keytable is specified, a keymap is generated that performs
       no conversion but contains the proper key names for that layout. If  no
       keytables are specified, the standard US QWERTY keyboard is used.

The  generated  keymap  is sent to the standard output and may be redi-
       rected or piped in any creative manner you wish.

FILES
       /usr/lib/kbd/keytables/*.map[.gz]
              The system keytable files used by loadkeys(1).

BUGS
       Can get confused if there is more than one key with a given name or  if
       names do not match properly between keytables. Keymaps may require man-
       ual editing.

AUTHOR
       Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com>

SEE ALSO
       libvga.config(5)

README.keymap from the svgalib distribution
There you go, svgalib users.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kyo-KUSANAGI
Rookie

Post by kyo-KUSANAGI »

OK, grinvader. What do you do with this svgakeymap? Won't solve anything by just running it alone.