More IPS patching suggestions

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

xamenus
Veteran

More IPS patching suggestions

Post by xamenus »

I posted this in the old forum, but I guess it was more or less overlooked, so I'll post it here.

When an IPS patch is found when a game is loaded, wouldn't it be a good idea if a dialog box popped up and asked for permission to use the patch (or if not a dialog box, something similar--I realize the GUI code is difficult :()? Sometimes I might not want to use the IPS, so all I can do is move the IPS file into another folder to play the original game.

Is this a sane request? ;)
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

not to shoot down your idea but if you use it so often why not just hard patch the rom? then there's no need to worry about it.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Probably for the same reason I don't hard patch. I always want to have a clean rom of all the games and I don't feel like wasting space with multiple copies of the same game.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

phonymike wrote:not to shoot down your idea but if you use it so often why not just hard patch the rom? then there's no need to worry about it.
Yep, I'm fully aware that I can do that. :) But as Megabyte said above, this just wastes hard drive space.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

As long as I could disable it I wouldn't mind having something like that.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

wastes hard drive space? I have like 30 cd images that have been sitting on my hard drives for months. THAT's wasting hard drive space. a few extra megabytes of shit isn't really wasting. You mine as well just burn a 'clean set' of roms to cd, and keep the hard patched rom on your pc. cause the ips file is just taking up space, and I don't see why you'd play the untranslated version.

but to each his own. you could also just rename the patch file to include a number at the end of it.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

phonymike wrote:wastes hard drive space? I have like 30 cd images that have been sitting on my hard drives for months. THAT's wasting hard drive space. a few extra megabytes of shit isn't really wasting. You mine as well just burn a 'clean set' of roms to cd, and keep the hard patched rom on your pc. cause the ips file is just taking up space, and I don't see why you'd play the untranslated version.

but to each his own. you could also just rename the patch file to include a number at the end of it.
Yeah, I follow with what you're saying, but I'll add that I don't use IPS patches just for translations--I also use them for hacks.

Also, if a dialog box is out of the question, perhaps a "Auto-apply IPS patch" check box in the Options menu will suffice. :)
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

I feel you're being a bit too lazy if you can't open up a file manager and rename one file...

That's just me, though.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Kagerato wrote:I feel you're being a bit too lazy if you can't open up a file manager and rename one file...

That's just me, though.
Well, ZSNES already has a disable screensaver feature; apparently people are too lazy to disable it in Windows. ;) So why not add this; it's just a small tweak to make things more convienient. :)
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

IceFox wrote:
Kagerato wrote:I feel you're being a bit too lazy if you can't open up a file manager and rename one file...

That's just me, though.
Well, ZSNES already has a disable screensaver feature; apparently people are too lazy to disable it in Windows. ;) So why not add this; it's just a small tweak to make things more convienient. :)
The screensaver thing:
I've been nagging Microsoft about this for years. Why can't DirectInput be smart enough to update the system idle timer???
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

I'm guessing that DirectInput handles some devices whose input Microsoft or the user would not want preventing the screensaver becoming active.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Kagerato wrote:I'm guessing that DirectInput handles some devices whose input Microsoft or the user would not want preventing the screensaver becoming active.
But, there is a whole class of USB Human Input Devices (HID-compliant) that should reset that damn idle timer.
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

As for the issue of hard patching: Think about major non-translation hacks such as level hacks of Super Mario World. Obviously, you might have more than one hack of the same game, and you probably want to keep the original game, so the only solution is to make copies and hard-patch. Sorry this isn't really on the topic.
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

In a case such as that, you would need a ROM copy. However, there is never a need to hard patch instead of soft patch, or the reverse.

If ZSNES were written in something other than x86, I could understand a request like this one (for a simple branching dialog). As it stands, it's immensely more trouble than it's worth.
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

Sorry for not explaining my case better. Since the issue of hard-drive space was mentioned, I should have said that copying and hard-patching saves space over copying and soft-patching as long as you delete the IPS files afterwards. Also, the only case where you "need" to hard-patch is when you want to do additional hacking on an existing hack or translation.

Is it practical to add a zsnesw.cfg setting or a command-line option to disable IPS patching?
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

-_pentium5.1_- wrote:Is it practical to add a zsnesw.cfg setting or a command-line option to disable IPS patching?
That sounds practical to me, but I'd like to hear what Nach or pagefault thinks about it... :)
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Re: More IPS patching suggestions

Post by Nightcrawler »

IceFox wrote:I posted this in the old forum, but I guess it was more or less overlooked, so I'll post it here.

When an IPS patch is found when a game is loaded, wouldn't it be a good idea if a dialog box popped up and asked for permission to use the patch (or if not a dialog box, something similar--I realize the GUI code is difficult :()? Sometimes I might not want to use the IPS, so all I can do is move the IPS file into another folder to play the original game.

Is this a sane request? ;)
I understand what you're saying. However, I also understand the opposition.

It can get a bit annoying and I wouldn't mind if such a feature was implemented, however it really isn't too much trouble to just make multiple copies.

If something like that were to be done, how about being albe to select which ips patch to apply to a game?

For instance, you have super mario world and 10 ips patches for it. Selecting which one to use upon loadup would be interesting.

Of course, I see the flaw in this. How would it know which you want to choose from? They'd all have to be named the same. But then of course you wouldn't really know which one you wanted. Oh hell, that's just a stupid idea since ips patches don't have a title text field or anything.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.