ZSNES w/windows x64

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

mikef

ZSNES w/windows x64

Post by mikef »

Way back when, before ZSNES went open source (and even before it had a GUI!) I used to run ZSNES on my old cleron 466MHz and every game ran pretty much at full speed. I decided to check to see if it was still around and to my suprise Its still being kept upto date! Props to everyone involved!

However I have a problem I can't figure out.
I just installed in on my new computer and it runs as if i were running it on an old 486!
I currently have an Opteron 148@2.2GHz running windows XP x64. My video card is an onboard ATI 200. I'd assume this machine is more than capable of running zsnes, however no mater what video setting i choose it wont run properly.

Are there any ideas on what settings to check to see what the problem could be? I tried disabling the sound to see if that would have an affect, but it didn't.

Thanks in advanced.

-Mike
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

If you have just recently updated ZSNES, make sure to delete the .cfg+.dat files in the folder ZSNES is in. Failing to do so causes problems.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Please define "not working properly" maybe it's a known bug, one which already has a solution.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
mikef

not working properly

Post by mikef »

It was a new install of ZSNES. I've deleted both config files and tried running the program with defaults, however it still runs slowly. The sound plays slow, the controls respond slow, and the video runs slow.

Just now I found the WIP ZSNES and tried that. It still has the same problem as the official release. However there is a new option under the config menu for speed. In there I tried disabling auto frame rate, but that resulted in the emulation running too fast. So I re-enabled that and then incresed the emu speed to 2x, but that also resulted in emulation running too fast.

I've also adjusted various video settings such as vsync and resolution to no affect.
mikef

Update

Post by mikef »

Ok, I seem to be having a problem with Snes9x also. Apparently it isn't a problem with the emulator. Maybe it is a problem with the windows x86 emulation that it has to run under (WoW64)?
Does anyone run any emulators in windows x64?
Näkemiin

Post by Näkemiin »

Hello

I have had no end of problems with Windows XP x64 so just don’t bother any more. I do not require more than 4Gb of RAM per CPU so just stick with regular Windows XP. You can always run a duel boot of OSs.

Tom
mikef

Post by mikef »

I haven't had many problems with win x64 except for a few driver issues.

64-bit is the way of the future, any compatibility issues should be addressed sooner rather than later. Also, I found a 64-bit compiled version of zsnes and it runs slightly better. Still to slow to play however.

Edit: Ack!
Disregard my posts, I tried disabling all extraneous processes and still had the same problem.

However the remedy, it seems, has been to simply reboot my pc!

I guess windows is still windows...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Next time, don't double post.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
mikef

Post by mikef »

Why?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Because it's unnecessary and annoying. There is an Image button for a reason.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Don't worry, I made everything better now.
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

I think you can compile ZSnes from CVS using YASM instead of NASM on an x64 machine and it will work better. I know there are WIP releases for x64.
Bob-clo-cli-mar

Post by Bob-clo-cli-mar »

i'm using windows x64 with an athlon 64 3200+ and a radeon 9250 graphic card. in the last WIP, under an athlon 1 ghz it was working correctly, but it is very slow on my new system ! i hope you could do something !
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

ZSNES currently does not have a native x64 binary as none of the developers have access to a machine currently and requires changes to the code to work properly.
Echoecho
Lurker

Post by Echoecho »

The advantages to running 64bit PCs just keep adding on, aren't they? I'll let the suckers so eager to have 64bit for the sake of it do all the beta testing, then when 64bit PCs are finally mature and give you the advantages of 64, their now computers will be too old. :lol:
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Echoecho wrote:The advantages to running 64bit PCs just keep adding on, aren't they? I'll let the suckers so eager to have 64bit for the sake of it do all the beta testing, then when 64bit PCs are finally mature and give you the advantages of 64, their now computers will be too old. :lol:
There are no problems running 64-bit pcs, just the software and os's cause they kinda suck right now.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Echoecho
Lurker

Post by Echoecho »

That's what I meant. Obviously it's not faulty hardware, it's the way it's used. PC 64bit software is not mature yet and won't be for a while. And who's to say a sudden shift won't happen before it would mature, toward higher like 128bit and beyond? You never know what will happen later.
morikaweb

Post by morikaweb »

Echoecho wrote:That's what I meant. Obviously it's not faulty hardware, it's the way it's used. PC 64bit software is not mature yet and won't be for a while. And who's to say a sudden shift won't happen before it would mature, toward higher like 128bit and beyond? You never know what will happen later.
:lol: Would be nice but the technology is already at its absalute limits and could never be expanded like that. I doubt we will see anything more than marginal improvements till some kind of breakthrough come up like nano tub based chips or something.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

The PS2 is 128-bit.

We have the tech, it's just not all that fast.