Compressing SMC files, the mistery

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

saulob

Compressing SMC files, the mistery

Post by saulob »

ok... I got it.. the best SMC compressor is JMA.

the deal is.. I found on the net one big pack with 11.322 roms. (maybe you already saw it on the net)
full of smc files.

the pack is compressed on the 7z file.

compressed size: 1,96 GB (2.108.583.384 bytes)
uncompressed: 17.785.73.454 bytes :o

it´s 17gb compressed on 1,96gb !!

how they do that ? :shock:

I tried to convert every file on .zip files or .jma (to get easier to play on zsnes)... but.. man...

I tried with 2.000 files and got more than 2gb, only 2.000 files !!! i mean... it´s 11k !!!!!! tried with JMA or ZIP !!

how did they put 11k on 1,96gb ?! :shock:

btw, the topic is about compressing SMC files, not about where to get the pack. sorry. I will not talk about it.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Solid compression. Since a lot of the games have duplicates and there only slight changes between them, you only need to compress the first one and find the diffs between the dupes, instead of compressing all those dupes separately.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Clements wrote:Solid compression. Since a lot of the games have duplicates and there only slight changes between them, you only need to compress the first one and find the diffs between the dupes, instead of compressing all those dupes separately.
Repetition is the most important thing about compression... it's awesome.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
bztunk
Hazed

Post by bztunk »

the problem with solid compression is that, when you want to extract a specific rom, you have to skip all the roms before it in the archive.

Maybe 7z solid compression fixed that, but if it doesn't, with 11k roms, it must be terrible...
saulob

Post by saulob »

so.. thats why....
i think i will burn just the 7z file.. hehehe

theres no way i can convert that 1,96g file on a 4g file :P
to put on only one dvd..

thank you guys

solid compression, nice :)
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

saulob wrote:so.. thats why....
i think i will burn just the 7z file.. hehehe

theres no way i can convert that 1,96g file on a 4g file :P
to put on only one dvd..

thank you guys

solid compression, nice :)
Take in account that you have probabaly 6000 useless ROMs there... Then compressing the thing into 4 GB with JMA for instant playability is easy...
saulob

Post by saulob »

I tough about that.. really :wink:

it appears that no every rom NSRT identify.... so I tought about getting them away and keep only the 'good' ones... official build...

but.. in the end.. i just want the FULL SNES SET :D
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

saulob wrote: but.. in the end.. i just want the FULL SNES SET :D
Putting garbage on your SNES doesn't magically make it part of your SNES.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by kieran_ »

The FULL SNES SET is junk. Are you really going to play all of those overdumped Mario roms, or the German version of a game? There are plently of romsites out there. Just get whatever games you want to play.
Hyos
Regular

Post by Hyos »

saulob wrote:I tough about that.. really :wink:

it appears that no every rom NSRT identify.... so I tought about getting them away and keep only the 'good' ones... official build...

but.. in the end.. i just want the FULL SNES SET :D
Seriously, using NSRT is easy. Let it sort out the bad dumps/overdumps for you, fix the fixable ones, deinterleave the interleaved ones, remove headers, then remove duplicates (a game with or without the header is still the same, for example). You will have a FULL SET of working games, and can still keep all those bad ones/hardpatched translation ones if you want. For example, yo0u do not need hardpatched translations with the 0.1, 0.2, 0.3 etc versions for a game. Just keep the best paqtched one or, even better, keep only the original and get the ips patch for softpatching.
saulob

Post by saulob »

thank you guys.

Hyos, you´re right.. I can do that... but.. well, i don't want to do that hard job.. for choose...seek everycopy..

I will stay with them all ;)

herzog, ehehe there are a lot of junk on that set, really ehehe.. but i will leave it.. and stay with the full set ;)

thank you guys :!: