Any genesis emulators with....

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Snark wrote:
Stifu wrote:
Snark wrote:Over 95%? Genecyst was probably over 95% and that old emu has been long surpased by Gens and even more so by Kega Fusion
Actually, I doubt Genecyst could play over 95% of the games. It played almost all of the most popular games properly, but I'm pretty sure it choked on many of the more obscure ones.
I was talking more about the emulation % of the actual Megadrive's components rather than the game compatibility percentage.

Another example is bsnes. It's compatibility is well over 99% but I don't think it emulates 99.99% of the base hardware yet (if only because there's no dot-based renderer yet)

Kega Fusion is probably extremely close to emulating 99.99% of the console (well it looks like that anyway).

I think it's relatively easy to quickly emulate 70-90% of the base console when you start to write your emulator. It's when you begin to reach more obscur/ less documented parts that the real hard work begins.
It is said that the game compatibility is a reflection of the main systems accuracy %.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Too bad hacks increase game compatibility, but do nothing for accuracy.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Neo Kaiser wrote:It is said that the game compatibility is a reflection of the main systems accuracy %.
Depending on the system it varies. One system might only need 95% of it's hardware emulated to get 100% game compatibility, while another might require more like 99.99% of the system emulated to get the same results.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Snark wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:It is said that the game compatibility is a reflection of the main systems accuracy %.
Depending on the system it varies. One system might only need 95% of it's hardware emulated to get 100% game compatibility, while another might require more like 99.99% of the system emulated to get the same results.
That's why it is a reflection. In reality there is only a % number and that is from the main system emulation. Anyway Developers here know more than us so they can explain it better.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Will we ever see this in a Genesis emulator or a VGM player?

Quote from Wikipedia:
Another curious modification to the Genesis hardware is to replace the stock 68000 processor with a 68010. Since the CPU isn't socketed, this requires the removal of the old CPU, and soldering in of the new. The 68010 is a pin-compatible, 'enhanced' version of the 68000, which is a bit more efficient internally and offers some new features. According to modder Robert Ivy, upgrading the CPU to a 68010 does not necessarily make the games run faster, it just reduces how much they slow down in intensive situations. Also, for some reason, the DAC's digital audio output sounds cleaner and less distorted. However, the 68010 is not 100% object code-compatible with the 68000, so machines modified with a 68010 processor are not able to run certain games properly; such as Sonic 3, Sonic and Knuckles, Street Fighter II, Red Zone, and a few others.
It is possible to overclock the Motorola 68000 CPU in some cases in excess of 300% (the current known world record is 25.4 MHz), though it may not be completely stable beyond a certain point on each console.[9] The result of overclocking the CPU doesn't speed up the games any, but actually eliminates slowdown that some games are plagued by.
After upgrading the CPU,the DAC's digital audio output sounds cleaner and less distorted.
I wonder how good the sound will be with this modification and how much of the slowdown will be eliminated...
I wish to see something like this (overclock at least) for SNES emulators too.Handy for those games which slow down a lot)
I wonder if I can do this with bsnes (2x overclock) and still have stable emulation at normal speed.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Huh? I could swear ZSNES had such an overclocking feature via 'Percent to Execute'.

The problem with such an overclock on the SNES is that it can mess with timings if I recall.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

It will mess with timings except in the most basic tech demos, IMO.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
zack
Rookie

Post by zack »

bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

this one was pretty cool :lol:
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

If the genesis was using a 68000 cpu, what the hell was using a z80? Also am I wrong or were the 68000, 680X0, family processors used in the early Macintosh computers?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

SquareHead wrote:If the genesis was using a 68000 cpu, what the hell was using a z80? Also am I wrong or were the 68000, 680X0, family processors used in the early Macintosh computers?
Wasn't that one on the Master System and Game Gear?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Genesis used a Z80 as a sound processor, and it also used it as the main CPU when running SMS games. The GG is just a modified SMS, so it also has a Z80.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

SquareHead wrote:If the genesis was using a 68000 cpu, what the hell was using a z80? Also am I wrong or were the 68000, 680X0, family processors used in the early Macintosh computers?
In fact, its the exact same CPU as the one contained in say... Mac Pluses (the gray b&W all-in-ones) down to the pin format, I'm pretty sure.

The TI-89+ calculators also use a low-power SMT version of this CPU running at 12Mhz. Its got some oomph.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

see
Kega Fusion
Gens
Gens +
Gens32 Surreal <-- this one is still regularly updated

I personally like to just have some sort of bilinear filtering or interpolation, if I go for a heavy filter it's usually HQ4x or most often Scale4x (my personal fav)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]