Dark Law translation

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Dark Law translation

Post by Louis Cypher »

Image Image

Ten years ago today, Dark Law was unleashed unto the Japanese masses. And now, to celebrate its tenth, Aeon Genesis has made it available in English for the first time! An unbelievable amount of work has gone into making this translation look as good as it possibly can, and I think it was worth it!

Dark Law is essentially the Japanese interpretation of the pencil-and-paper RPG into a videogame format. The focus is rather heavy on exploration and light on combat, with copious amounts of storytelling thrown in for good measure. It, like Dark Lord before it, is told through a series of short stories ("Scenarios") which tie together by the final conclusion. It's a pretty cool game, on the whole.

The patch is complete and should be bug-free. Enjoy!
Last edited by Louis Cypher on Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

This game looks really great. I also like the way the descriptions are written in a separate area and font from the lines that characters say. I'll definitely try it, great work once again.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

One hell of a performance, the machine strikes again.

m(_v_)m

Hope you had fun with all the font engines...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Holy hell on a stick.

Awesome work. Keep 'em coming.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Awesome. This is truly a fine time for the Snes translation scene thanks to Aeon Genesis.

I've only begun the game but it looks top notch. Amazing that, back then, they didn't relaease some of the most amazing Snes RPGs ever because "the market outside Japan wouldn't buy it" or whatever.

Now that pretty much all current consoles games are released outside Japan, and even the so-called typically Japanese one do very well, it seem those decisions were in fact, baseless. Or maybe at the time they did make sense for x reason, I don't know.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Snark wrote:Awesome. This is truly a fine time for the Snes translation scene thanks to Aeon Genesis.

I've only begun the game but it looks top notch. Amazing that, back then, they didn't relaease some of the most amazing Snes RPGs ever because "the market outside Japan wouldn't buy it" or whatever.

Now that pretty much all current consoles games are released outside Japan, and even the so-called typically Japanese one do very well, it seem those decisions were in fact, baseless. Or maybe at the time they did make sense for x reason, I don't know.
It really depends when it was released. If it was released at the end of the SNES's era, then it is really not surprising. On the other hand, you have to factor in the resources for translating any Japanese game... it is probably silly now, but not as silly back then.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Louis Cypher
Devil Summoner

Post by Louis Cypher »

There are a few reasons Dark Law did not make it outside of Japan. The release date is certainly a factor - it was released on March 28, 1997, well after the SNES was past its prime in the USA. The other, possibly bigger reason is simply that it is a -very- dark and depressing game, that deals heavily with the subject of death: a subject Nintendo was not comfortable with at the time. (Spoiler) There's even one bit where black magicians are forcibly impregnating teenage girls with demonspawn. That kind of thing would never have made it out of Japan back then :p (end spoiler)
[url=http://agtp.romhack.net]Aeon Genesis ~ We eat ham and jam and spam-alot[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

But now that we have internet... :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Louis Cypher wrote:There are a few reasons Dark Law did not make it outside of Japan. The release date is certainly a factor - it was released on March 28, 1997, well after the SNES was past its prime in the USA. The other, possibly bigger reason is simply that it is a -very- dark and depressing game, that deals heavily with the subject of death: a subject Nintendo was not comfortable with at the time. (Spoiler) There's even one bit where black magicians are forcibly impregnating teenage girls with demonspawn. That kind of thing would never have made it out of Japan back then :p (end spoiler)
Oh yea, content is definately a factor. I can see the idiots now: "oh noes, you censorship bastards, why oh why did you not release this!"
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

This game looks pretty nice, kudos to the Aeon Genesis team. I may try it out sooner or later.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

i downloaded and it's work,
has glitch yes, but working nonetheless

many thanks to agtp,
with this release, i guess, the faqs in gamefaqs will start pouring :D