Where can I get a psu for this?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

clessoulis
Regular

Where can I get a psu for this?

Post by clessoulis »

Yeah looking for a psu for this of decent power. 450 to 550 watt.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

www.newegg.com

If it's wrong or you're unhappy , they're real good about replacing stuff
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Out of curiosity, are those P3s or Athlon MPs?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

They're p3's. Could you just recomend a psu odditude. Everything you've suggested so fars been golden. So I will just grab whatever you recomend. A direct link would be nice as I have no clue to what i'm even buying.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

I beleive you may need a PSU for a server , and I'm not too sure you'll find a single PSU with 2xATX, unless you went with those slim PSUs where 2 can fit in 1 space , which I'm not sure if they carry
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

So where would one go about finding server psu. Its a server board.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

If it was me , to save the hassle , I'd just get a tower that could hold 2 PSUs , and buy 2x300w PSUs , and some zip ties

I thought Nspire had some PSU for that stuff , but I couldn't find any
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

clessoulis wrote:So where would one go about finding server psu. Its a server board.
They exist.. but it will cost more than your average PSU in general. Look support for dual cpus in the specs (it is usually highlighted).. although a board that old might have fewer choices.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

What am I looking for ATX? Also how can I sell which ones have 2 connectors on it?
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

if anything, your post made me go out and learn a few unrelated things about PC power supplies. Nothing related to the issue you are facing, however.

You're not going to find a supply with two 20-pin connectors easily.

Did that server board come with the manual? Does it say it can work with only one power supply connected? Maybe get out a conductivity tester and look at corresponding pins to see if they're all connected together anyways?

If they are connected together (pin1 = pin1 .. pin 20 = pin 20), using two normal consumer supplies will become an awesome conflagration.

edit: aw screw it, try it with one normal ATX psu you have lying around. logic dictates that it's still supposed to be functional when one psu (or half of it) is dead.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

that might be a WTX power supply you are looking for.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Well, it looks like that's a SuperMicro Super 370DLE board. According to the manual, it uses a standard 20-pin ATX power supply, preferably with the 6-pin AUX connector. The second 20-pin connector is for a second ATX power supply (for "heavy load configurations").

It's getting tough to find PSUs that still have the AUX connector, but there are still a few out there.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

So in theory as long as i'm not doing anything to intensive I should be able to use 1 psu. Does this actually give me access to the full funtions of the boards 2 cpus and 2gb of ram?
odditude

Post by odditude »

Nothing in the manual indicates that board functionality will be limited by having only one PSU installed. Keep in mind that at the time this motherboard was produced, it was rare to see ATX power supplies over 300 or 350W, which would be severely problematic in a server with a SCSI controller and multiple drives. Supporting multiple power supplies at the board level would save an integrator from using any pass-throughs or other means to send power on/off signals to both PSUs.

Having said that, though, knowing what else you're planning on having installed in this box will help with general power recommendations.

Also, just because I only gave you a list of four power supplies with AUX connectors doesn't mean they're the only ones out there... they're just the first things I found after spending about a minute on NewEgg.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

I'm actually going to be using it as a regular pc

Windows XP pro will be installed.
Web browsering
Light gaming
cd burning
u torrent

It will have 1 sata 160GB HDD in it. So i'm guessing it would be a good thing to have a sata power connector on the psu.

Maybe i'm blind where is that list of aux psu you gave me?
odditude

Post by odditude »

odditude wrote:manual
odditude wrote:a few
Click the links.

Keep in mind - if you're planning on using a SATA hard drive, you're also buying a PCI or PCI-X SATA controller.

For the PSU, 400W will pretty much be overkill. You'd probably be fine with 300W.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

Eh odd what makes any of those psu special none of those have dual 20 pin power connectors. They're just normal atx power suplys. If they're just normal power suplys cant I just take a spare one I have sitting around?
odditude

Post by odditude »

They have the 6-pin AUX connector. On your picture, it's the white thing to the right of the 34-pin floppy connector (below the DIMM slots).

You'd only need one of those PSUs; again, with just one hard drive, a 300W would probably be just fine. Maybe 350W if you'd prefer to err on the side of caution.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Since we're on the topic of power supplies I might as well bring this up: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

It also does some calculations for capacitor aging so it seems useful. According to it if slop together the PC I was planning and the capacitors age for more than a year running 24/7 the PSU would have to be 1200 watts. How accurate that is I have no idea.