Feature Request: Additional Sound controls

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

Feature Request: Additional Sound controls

Post by Panzer88 »

just like their are varies video filters, how about we have a treble/bass control and maybe other sound enhancement/filtration options/controls.

just an idea.

EDIT: also, would there be any advantage to allowing higher sampling rates as Gens32 does? (e.g. instead of maxing out at 44100 their's goes up to 192000, is this because of sound stuff with the Sega CD or 32X or could this benefit ZSNES too?)
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

There's no advantage of anything higher than 44100 in ZSNES. We had this discussion many years ago and it turned into comedy club.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

snkcube wrote:There's no advantage of anything higher than 44100 in ZSNES. We had this discussion many years ago and it turned into comedy club.
thanks, sorry I missed the memo, I'm the new guy remember :oops:

what about the other ideas?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

snkcube wrote:There's no advantage of anything higher than 32000.
Fixed, I guess.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

so do they do it because it makes a diff with genesis+Sega CD+32X? (I'm assuming)

not pushing the issue, just solving the mystery.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

SEGA used FM synthesis hardware, which afaik can be scaled up to use higher frequencies. Sample-based audio can't be improved like that.

Think of it like bitmaps and polygons. Bitmaps (i.e. samples) have a fixed quality, and filters can only try to increase the quality. Polygons (FM waves) can be scaled with the output device's capabilities, i.e. higher resolutions can reduce the jaggies.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

snkcube wrote:There's no advantage of anything higher than 44100 in ZSNES. We had this discussion many years ago and it turned into comedy club.
A comedy club hosted none other than Tedius Zanarukando and his doomed quest for 192000 Hz. He did not pass GO.

Plus, he was a friggin' mormon or something. That alone makes people keep their distance.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

creaothceann wrote:SEGA used FM synthesis hardware, which afaik can be scaled up to use higher frequencies. Sample-based audio can't be improved like that.

Think of it like bitmaps and polygons. Bitmaps (i.e. samples) have a fixed quality, and filters can only try to increase the quality. Polygons (FM waves) can be scaled with the output device's capabilities, i.e. higher resolutions can reduce the jaggies.
thanks, I guess the genesis had a few (totally useless at the time) aces up it's sleeve.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

multiples of 32000 could be interpolated maybe so if you get 64000 or 96000 or 128000 you can get maybe somewhat higher quality. Although, sound hardware probably does that itself or in drivers at least.
BFeely
Rookie

Post by BFeely »

Regarding frequency, the ONLY good frequency is 32000 Hz or the sound effects in Star Fox will not be right.
About sound controls like treble, bass, etc. That will be when Nach finishes rewriting the sound engine, IF you are lucky.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

About things like treble, bass control... shouldn't people be bothering their sound card maker for things like that instead of each and every individual program?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

FitzRoy wrote:About things like treble, bass control... shouldn't people be bothering their sound card maker for things like that instead of each and every individual program?
And the OS should support save stating of every program too, but they normally don't :P
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Panzer88 »

FitzRoy wrote:About things like treble, bass control... shouldn't people be bothering their sound card maker for things like that instead of each and every individual program?
I knew this was going to be brought up, and I agree, except not everyone's sound system can change such things easily, I mean we have color adjustments etc. in the NTSC filter so I thought some audio sound options wouldn't be a completely bad idea.

of course it's all up to the ZSNES devs.
Last edited by Panzer88 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Panzer88 wrote:I mean we have color adjustments etc. in the NSRT filter...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

What, you've never used Nach's Tool for SNES Copiers?
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Oh for a moment there, I thought someone joined Nach's Technical School for Crazies.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Panzer88 »

well that was a glorious type, *sigh* oh well.