So I can has a PSP (Suggest me apps and shiz!)

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

So I can has a PSP (Suggest me apps and shiz!)

Post by Magus` »

I'm recently gotten a PSP (2001 Slim). I'm interested in putting a SNES emulator on this bad boy but I'm not 100% sure on how to go about this.

I know there is some tinkering with the firmware and whatnot. If anyone could link me to a nice site to help me get started would be much appreciated.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

The only current way to softmod the PSP is to use Pandora's Battery. The only way to make Pandora's Battery is to use an already modded Fat PSP.

I used this guide to make mine:
http://forums.qj.net/f-psp-pandora-disc ... 24530.html

It was a real pain in the ass, but so fucking amazingly worth it.

You'll need:
1 PSP slim
1 Modded PSP Fat
1 Battery to turn into the Pandora's Battery
1 ~1GB Memory Stick that you don't need anymore
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

Ah, I have no zero access to a classic PSP, much less a modded one.

Guess I'm SoL.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Don't suppose you'll be in NYC anytime soon. You could always mail it to me and I can mod it for you.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

I could probably buy a modded battery, dunno.

And yeah, NYC is a bit far from Missoureh.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Yeah, just buy this one from code junkies if you don't know anyone with a fat psp. Hmm it has to be backordered though so that might be awhile.. : |

http://us.codejunkies.com/Products/PSP- ... 00513.aspx
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Magus` wrote:I could probably buy a modded battery, dunno.

And yeah, NYC is a bit far from Missoureh.
You need the battery, but just as important you need the magic memory stick to actually transfer a new firmware to the psp.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

Can I not make one with the battery?
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Correct, you need to be able to run custom (unsigned) software to make the memory stick, which requires the already hacked psp.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

So I just need to get the battery? Or a new memory card? All this is incredibly convoluted for what I'm trying to do.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

You only need the modded psp for the battery if you don't buy one. You can make the memory card with a memory stick pro duo card reader if you can't do it with a slim psp. You just have format the card with that special application that comes with the pandora application. So yes you need a 1GB memory stick and the special battery.

To mod a slim psp you need Despertar del Cementerio version 4 from http://www.dark-alex.org/ and mspformat from the pandora battery zip file located here http://www.noobz.eu/joomla/news/pandoras-battery.html.
Last edited by powerspike on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

I already have a 1GB stick. I was wondering if I needed a second one.

And I have no Memory Duo reader on my computer.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Then just use the GB stick you already have. It wont ruin the memory stick, but it's nice to have one so you don't have to keep remaking it. I just wasn't sure if you could use a slim psp to properly format the card or not. If it fails nothing bad will happen.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

So I get the battery, then I use whatever program is on that to specially format my memory card?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm just not sure how this works.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Take a look at that walkthrough. There is no actual software on the battery, just a *slightly* modified firmware with a flipped bit. When you insert the battery and turn it on, the modified battery kicks the PSP into a recovery mode, and at that point you need the special memory card to say "hey, here's some firmware for you to inject to your PSP now that you're in recovery mode."
The problem is, it's not as simple as dumping files on the memory card - you need a modded PSP to run the utilities on the PSP that properly format and partition the memory card, and that properly create the 3.71 M33 firmware out of the real 3.71 firmware.
Last edited by casualsax3 on Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Yup pretty much. Well read the reademe file for Despertar del Cementerio. It'll tell you what to do.

Edit:
I think casualsax3 is right sorry about that. It was much easier since I had a 1.50 psp. Still couldn't you just clone the memory card with some sort of application to keep the data in the proper structure?
Last edited by powerspike on Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

It confuses me, but I'll worry about it when I actually have the battery.

Hopefully I won't need to buy anything else, I be poor.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Sounds like somebody else needs a kitten pile. :D
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Magus` wrote:It confuses me, but I'll worry about it when I actually have the battery.

Hopefully I won't need to buy anything else, I be poor.
It'd just be cheaper to mail your psp to someone to mod. It only costed me like a buck to mail an R4DS in a box with a DVD in a jewel case to a friend with usps. This is from California to Kentucky even. If you didn't already cancel the order for that battery I'd be willing to make the memory stick for you if you mailed it to me. I feel bad for giving you wrong directions.
Last edited by powerspike on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

I haven't ordered anything. I'll think about taking Cas up on his offer.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

it's not that hard to understand when you get rid of the bullshit terminology.

Pandora battery = normal authentic Sony battery whose internal eeprom serial code has been set to some manner of FFFF's.

The official firmware on the PSP is written so that when it detects that serial number, instead of booting it goes into service mode. Part of service mode is to read an encrypted program off of the memory card, check it, and execute it.

The memory card has a program that basically has been tampered with in such a way so as to run an unencrypted program. The check is bypassed by incorrect block length, jump location, and checksum information. This exploit causes arbitrary code in the loaded block to be able to be executed.

And there is no reason why you cannot have your PC format the memory stick versus having the PSP do it. The dubious concept of somehow having a fat PSP create a memory card be less legally punishable was what drove the decision of having the PSP format the card.

So what is needed again?
1) A battery that puts the PSP into service mode instead of booting up normally.
2) A memory stick formatted and loaded with the necessary unofficial firmware upgrader.

As for actual PSP SNES emulation, it sucks total ass. But NES emulation is beautifully functional, even with zero-lag-inducing rewind and hardware assisted screen magnification.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

actually whicker, you have to either remove some part off the circuit board (of the battery) or take one of the pins off the chips, depending on which battery you have. before you try this, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A SPARE BATTERY. oh yeah, and google for instructions.

that said, in theory you can setup a toggle switch to switch it from pandora's battery and back.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

Aww, there are no good SNES emulators? There goes my portable 16-bit RPG machine.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

That's crazy talk, I just played through that new Chrono Trigger mod on my PSP - there's an occasional bit of slowdown but otherwise it works great:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oUWQNhPoIv8
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

casualsax3 wrote:That's crazy talk, I just played through that new Chrono Trigger mod on my psp - there's an occasional bit of slowdown but otherwise it works great:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oUWQNhPoIv8
show me a youbutt video of Top Gear then?
Or On The Ball (Cameltry)?

And AOL, I was explaining the REASON for removing a pin or trace inside the battery: to get the data line to float high, giving all FFFFFFFF's when the PSP tries to read the serial number of the battery. Up until very recently, the PSP had the functionality (as part of kernel routines) to program that EEPROM. Therefore there was no reason to have to purchase a separate battery or to break apart a perfectly good battery.

...And then they started making batteries where the EEPROM couldn't be reprogrammed at all.