Fresh Crisp Graphics?????

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: So I still find it funny that he's going for flashy HQ4x graphics, then wants accurate sound instead of playing with the options to "enhance" that too.
Again, you forget that a lot of the inaccurate sounds happen to sound like shit that's been run through a grinder five times over.
You're referring to core inaccuracies, not post-processing inaccuracies.

I could say a lot of the inaccurate graphics are garbled messes just as easily.
It's like you read what I say, then pretend I said something else.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

badinsults wrote:Using no filters is the closest thing to real snes, I always go with that.
Surely you mean the NTSC filter is the closest thing to a real SNES?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Well, it's somewhat closer to the PPU. :wink:
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Hicks

Post by Hicks »

Am I the only one who likes the super eagle filter?
BTW, what is the optimal refresh rate for zsnes? I find horisontal movement to be very stuttery...
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Hicks wrote:BTW, what is the optimal refresh rate for zsnes? I find horisontal movement to be very stuttery...
Dividable by 60 or 50 for NTSC or PAL games respectively.
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

For those of us using ZSNES on high-resolution 20" LCD computer monitors, using no filters at all looks like utter garbage (EDIT: adding an "IMO" here as a nicety for people who think unfiltered high-res ZSNES garbage looks nice)...

I imagine many people want to experience ZSNES as close to possible as playing on old CRT television sets from the early 1990s.

Some of us are unable to hook our computers up to a CRT television set via an s-video cable or otherwise, so we're stuck using an LCD.

That's one reason I almost always like scanlines on my emulators.
Interpolation + scanlines is one possibility.
NTSC is best if, like me, you too want to recreate that old television set feel.
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

I like the ntsc filter. it tricks me into thinking i'm playing snes as a kid in the basement of my parents old house.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Blasingame wrote:it tricks me into thinking i'm playing snes as a kid in the basement of my parents old house.
You ARE playing snes games, still a kid, and in the basement of your parents' new house.

Not much trickery needed.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

This whole "NTSC filter sends me back to the good old days" doesn't go with me. I think we need a "PAL" filter :P
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Franky wrote:This whole "NTSC filter sends me back to the good old days" doesn't go with me. I think we need a "PAL" filter :P
What, you WANT your games slow, choppy, distorted, and off-color(PAL has a smaller color gamut than NTSC)? :P
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I like playing on a 42" plasma with no filters. PIXELS THE SIZE OF YOUR FINGERTIPS! :D
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

It is actually possible to simulate a PAL filter, to resemble playing the SNES on an average PAL TV available around the time of the console's lifespan. Simply smear faeces all over your screen. Voilà.
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

I like your style Clements. 8)
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Franky wrote:This whole "NTSC filter sends me back to the good old days" doesn't go with me. I think we need a "PAL" filter :P
What, you WANT your games slow, choppy, distorted, and off-color(PAL has a smaller color gamut than NTSC)? :P
That's only for actual PAL games. By the way, they were only usually choppy and whatnot because they were conversions from NTSC games.
Sometimes, developers would make good conversions and games would actually come out fullscreen, not be too slow, and whatnot. And then there were games that were designed specifically for PAL, and PAL regions only (like Terranigma, for example).

Yeah, being British sucks if you're a gamer and can't mod your consoles so you can play US/JPN games.

I don't see how PAL could be worse than NTSC by the way. It runs at a higher resolution than NTSC.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Franky wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
That's only for actual PAL games. By the way, they were only usually choppy and whatnot because they were conversions from NTSC games.
Sometimes, developers would make good conversions and games would actually come out fullscreen, not be too slow, and whatnot. And then there were games that were designed specifically for PAL, and PAL regions only (like Terranigma, for example).

Yeah, being British sucks if you're a gamer and can't mod your consoles so you can play US/JPN games.

I don't see how PAL could be worse than NTSC by the way. It runs at a higher resolution than NTSC.
Lower frame rate and different color system. >.>
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I have an NTSC to PAL converter. I run NTSC through my TV (US version of Resident Evil 4 from my PS2), and colours are fine. I then plug the converter in, to convert the NTSC to a PAL signal, and there's little difference in the colours.

PAL runs at 50hz as opposed to NTSC's 60. But PAL can also run at 60hz, and most TV's support 60hz, as a bare minimum. The lower framerate is only bad when NTSC games get crappy conversions to PAL when being made ready fro released in PAL regions.

There's actually a big similiarity between the two standards (hence why these converters are possible).

In a lot of ways, PAL is superior, but I'll let you do your own research before you argue (that is of course, if you do research )..
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Franky wrote:I don't see how PAL could be worse than NTSC by the way. It runs at a higher resolution than NTSC.
The SNES still outputs the same resolution on PAL systems.
I.S.T. wrote:Lower frame rate and different color system. >.>
Not to mention the squashing :(
Franky wrote:In a lot of ways, PAL is superior.
For watching TV, sure, for unmodded SNES gaming, it's worse in just about every way.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Johan_H wrote:
Franky wrote:I don't see how PAL could be worse than NTSC by the way. It runs at a higher resolution than NTSC.
The SNES still outputs the same resolution on PAL systems.
Was talking about PAL, not about the resolution a snes feeds it.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

For watching TV, sure, for unmodded SNES gaming, it's worse in just about every way.
For gaming, it sucks usually, since most games are designed initially for NTSC, then they do what are usually really crappy conversion to get it on PAL regions.

Nowadays, most TV's support 60hz in Europe, so developers could easily just display games in PAL but at 60hz. (and offer a 50hz mode if the TV doesn't support 60hz). I wish they would, since it means I wouldn't have to waste my time importing games.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

The PAL frame rate is still well above the max frequency the (human) eye detect. So what does it matter if it does 5 frames less a second, when we can't even detect it!?!?!? :P
What does count, is the superior reselution of PAL :P
Hardware means nothing if you don't have good software.
Compare the success of SNES over Genisis
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

declan wrote:
The PAL frame rate is still well above the max frequency the (human) eye detect. So what does it matter if it does 5 frames less a second, when we can't even detect it!?!?!? :P
It matters for gaming, I thought that was what we we're talking about.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

declan wrote:
Then explain why the PAL market had so many scan-doubled sets to prevent flickering during the reign of the CRT.

Fact: a 50Hz refresh is NOT adequate to prevent perceptible image flicker.

It's also part of the Virtual Boy Headache, tangentally.

What does count, is the superior reselution of PAL :P
Not for games running at a maximum of 512*448 it doesn't.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

Hey there's no way i'm going to try and argue with Gil over this.
Gil, you're too friggen knowlegeable in this area.
So i conceed defeat
*waves white flag in the air*
Grahf
"opinionated asshole"

Post by Grahf »

declan wrote:
Uh-Oh.... Not that old myth again......

http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_c ... ns_see.htm
http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html
In particular the common claim that "The human eye can't see more than 24 (or 25 or 30 or 60) FPS" is completely false, and is partly borne of the misconception that TV or movie FPS is the same as PC game FPS, and partly possibly borne out of a need to justify lower framerates.
declan
Lurker

Post by declan »

declan wrote:i conceed defeat
*waves white flag in the air*.... again