Render AVI videos with NTSC filter and 768x672 resolution

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

kaappikello

Render AVI videos with NTSC filter and 768x672 resolution

Post by kaappikello »

I'm planning to add some SNES game videos to Youtube, but would like to use NTSC filter for additional retro feeling. Youtube supports 1280x720 resolution, so something like 768x672 resolution would be nice. Stretching to the correct aspect ratio (1:33) can be done elsewhere. I have tested with 896x672 resolution and NTSC by taking a screenshot and uploading a still image video on Youtube. In my opinion, it looks a lot better than "crisp pixels" especially for 1280x720
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

Don't do it. Youtube videos are blurry enough without TV artifacts.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Re: Render AVI videos with NTSC filter and 768x672 resolutio

Post by Johan_H »

kaappikello wrote:Stretching to the correct aspect ratio (1:33)[...]
Sorry for OT but I can't work out in my head how that's correct ratio for anything, in my mind that means e.g. 10*330 pixels? What am I missing?

And the NTSC filter uses 4:3 ratio by default so no further stretching should be necessary, right?
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Killa B wrote:Don't do it. Youtube videos are blurry enough without TV artifacts.
Watched a HD youtube video lately?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

blackmyst wrote:Watched a HD youtube video lately?
No. They load too slow. :(
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Johan_H wrote:
kaappikello wrote:Stretching to the correct aspect ratio (1:33)[...]
Sorry for OT but I can't work out in my head how that's correct ratio for anything, in my mind that means e.g. 10*330 pixels? What am I missing?
Maybe he meant 1.33.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

he did
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Killa B wrote:
blackmyst wrote:Watched a HD youtube video lately?
No. They load too slow. :(
You can also watch videos in HQ, which is a huge step up from the standard stuff.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I don't know why people like to stretch the crap out of videos that were meant for old 320x240. I prefer to keep video game things in multiples of the original resolution if possible, even if it means black bars on the sides.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

creaothceann wrote:Maybe he meant 1.33.
I guess. Thanks.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

snkcube wrote: You can also watch videos in HQ, which is a huge step up from the standard stuff.
Sometimes even adding &fmt=18 to the URL on certain videos doesn't do anything.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
snkcube wrote: You can also watch videos in HQ, which is a huge step up from the standard stuff.
Sometimes even adding &fmt=18 to the URL on certain videos doesn't do anything.
Yeah, that happens if the original video wasn't that great of a quality to begin with.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
kaappikello

Post by kaappikello »

Yes. I meant 1.33:1 aspect ratio, but from some reason I typed 1:33 :?
badinsults wrote:I don't know why people like to stretch the crap out of videos that were meant for old 320x240. I prefer to keep video game things in multiples of the original resolution if possible, even if it means black bars on the sides.

AFAIK, 256x224 is the original resolution for SNES most of the time. Many games are designed for 4:3 stretch what old TVs automatically do because pixels are not squares there. They are horizontally larger so I try to mimic that effect. There is some games like Kirby's Dreamland 3 which looks right (for my eyes at least) without stretching.

NTSC filter produces visible scanlines which is the default expected result at the time, when SNES games were made. That is why I multiple the resolution so that Youtube doesn't screw the lines with its own resize. It still looks good for my eyes, better than any other solution. Probably because I have spent my childhood with these old games and old TV was my primary display.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

You could use Fraps.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kaappikello

Post by kaappikello »

I have tried Fraps 2.9.8, but it doesn't work at all. Actually it locks my computer after some time and have to reboot, if used with ZSNES
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

camtasia, canstudio, hypercam, ... anything else.

Other than that, could it possibly be applied as a postprocessing effect? I don't imagine someone's made such a thing, but if you can code, you could maybe create a directshow filter for it. :D

I'd say don't bother. I'd hate to have to wait a long time just for some video game footage that could be 10x smaller, and I'm sure most people will agree.
kaappikello

Post by kaappikello »

I tried those programs, but they produce jerky frame rates when record at 30 fps.

NTSC filter is a post-process unless I'm mistaken something. Directshow filter would be a nice thing to have. It would be compatible with Avisynth?

Youtube does automatically a low quality version from HD video for those, who prefer speed over quality. It doesn't look too bad either, but I have tested only with still images which don't eat much bitrate anyway. It might be a lot worse, when something is moving.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

th e jerky frame rate does not appear in the video file though so use ZSNES's recording functions to make a replay and play that back while using FRAPS or something.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

If the capture is jerky then your computer simply isn't fast enough to do it. Which is unsurprising; even my core i7 drops frames with a large capture area.

I think you'll just have to settle for a lower resolution, perhaps, or using zsnes's unfiltered avi output.