ZSNES Looks Terrible!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

nightwolf5903 wrote:What matters is the fact that its emulation of SNES is CLOSE to PERFECT!
In that case, you would like bsnes even more. Except for games relying on unsupported chips and stuff.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

nightwolf5903 wrote:What matters is the fact that its emulation of SNES is CLOSE to PERFECT!
Try bsnes.

EDIT: Ack, that's what I get for reading only one page...

Johan_H wrote:Except for games relying on unsupported chips and stuff.
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 1 (uses ST-0011 co-processor)
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 2 (uses ST-0018 co-processor)
SD Gundam GX (uses DSP-3 co-processor)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
nightwolf5903

Post by nightwolf5903 »

Johan_H wrote:
In that case, you would like bsnes even more. Except for games relying on unsupported chips and stuff.
I'd definitely try it ..although i am more than happy with Zsnes :wink:
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Doesn't bsnes support a handful of the most common chips, nowadays? Sounds like the emulator of choice if your computer can handle it... as long as you're not on a mac and want to use gamepads without a registration nag screen. :|
nightwolf5903

Post by nightwolf5903 »

creaothceann wrote:
Try bsnes.

EDIT: Ack, that's what I get for reading only one page...

Johan_H wrote:Except for games relying on unsupported chips and stuff.
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 1 (uses ST-0011 co-processor)
Hayazashi Nidan Morita Shougi 2 (uses ST-0018 co-processor)
SD Gundam GX (uses DSP-3 co-processor)
yeah , downloading it now... :D

Posting here after some ass kickin' in comba tribes :twisted: Got screwed in the stage after defeating the disco type boss...

Playing classic games on an emulator is amazing fun.. Much more fun than the newer games with spectacular graphics but poor game play(A gamepad is a must though.. Playing these snes/genesis games with a keyboard was horribly frustrating.. :!:
nightwolf5903

Post by nightwolf5903 »

paulguy wrote:Doesn't bsnes support a handful of the most common chips, nowadays? Sounds like the emulator of choice if your computer can handle it... as long as you're not on a mac and want to use gamepads without a registration nag screen. :|
Registration nag screen?.. Don't tell me you have to actually PAY to use a gamepad? :shock:

Mac doesn't support ZSNES or what :shock: ?...

I am on 2 year old Lenovo Y510.. Windows Vista home basic..Most emulators run perfectly on my sys..
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

nightwolf5903 wrote:
Mac doesn't support ZSNES or what :shock: ?...
There is an Intel Mac port.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

nightwolf5903 wrote:Who cares about the UI?. What matters is the fact that its emulation of SNES is CLOSE to PERFECT!.
User Error: Please replace user
byuu

Post by byuu »

Except for games relying on unsupported chips and stuff.
Doesn't bsnes support a handful of the most common chips, nowadays?
Very sorry to post off-topic here.

Sigh, FitzRoy is right. I'm going to have to change the name to escape the fact that I didn't support much when I first started out.

For the record, only three games are only partially supported, as listed above. Everything else runs 100% with no known bugs and no hacks.

For those out of the loop, I now have:
- full SuperFX, SA-1, Cx4, DSP-1, DSP-2, DSP-4, OBC-1, S-DD1, SPC7110, S-RTC, ST-010 support
- near-complete Super Game Boy support (only released in one public WIP so far)
- save state and save archive support
- fully cycle-accurate core (exception: PPU is a hybrid scanline/cycle renderer)
- bit-perfect audio output to real hardware
- BS-X Satellaview and Sufami Turbo support
- 7-zip, RAR, ZIP, GZip, BZip2 and JMA support
- soft-patching support for both IPS and UPS patches
- GoodMerge multi-file archive support
- full support for non-English ROM filenames
- multi-part cheat codes and a cheat search utility
- fullscreen support with smooth video and audio simultaneously
- Scanline, Scale2x, LQ2x, HQ2x, 2xSaI, Super 2xSaI, Super Eagle, NTSC filter support
- scaling using blocky pixellated, or blurry interpolated sampling
- Joypad, Dual-Multitap, Super Scope, Justifier and Mouse support
- support for up to 16 hardware keyboards and mice; Xbox 360 controllers via XInput and RawInput
- 32-bit video output with contrast, brightness, gamma, hue, saturation, sharpness, resolution, artifact, fringing and color bleed adjustment
- fully remappable user interface commands
- screenshot capture support
- debugger with read-write-exec breakpoints on all memory sources, CPU+SMP tracing, VRAM viewer, hex editor, etc
- lots of speed manipulation tools
- fully themeable and resizeable, modern GUI that integrates on Windows, Linux and OS X natively
- all features / windows can be used simultaneously as games run
- custom ROM loading interface that can display screenshots, ROM info, disable patches, etc
- requirements lowered to ~1.6GHz Core (was ~2.4GHz)
- now runs on any architecture thanks to Nach's longjmp driver
- and three dozen more advanced features hidden in the config file

The only things I cannot do:
- netplay (neither can anyone else at present)
- movie recording and playback (planned)
- input macro recording and playback (planned)
- run on affordable hardware at acceptable speeds

Registration nag screen?.. Don't tell me you have to actually PAY to use a gamepad?
Richard Bannister distributes a native Cocoa port that offers Emulation Enhancer as an optional add-on that gives you gamepad and fullscreen support for all three dozen of his emulators for $9.

You can also build my official sources and get the same things for free, but with Qt instead of Cocoa.
I am on 2 year old Lenovo Y510.. Windows Vista home basic..Most emulators run perfectly on my sys..
Core 2 @ 2GHz ... that should be well more than enough. If you have any problems, please let me know in PM.
Who cares about the UI?. What matters is the fact that its emulation of SNES is CLOSE to PERFECT!.
It is indeed very good, especially when you consider how fast it is. The main issue right now is you need to use an older version for SA-1 support, but otherwise all the triple-A titles work great.

I strongly encourage you to keep ZSNES, and to use only it when running on battery power.
Last edited by byuu on Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote: Sigh, FitzRoy is right.
No! Don't EVER say that! We'll never hear the end of it!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
CCd
Rookie

Post by CCd »

yawnmoth wrote:I like the current interface, as well. An interface from the 90's seems somehow appropriate when playing games from the 90's.
So true friend. So true.
nightwolf5903

Post by nightwolf5903 »

Quote:

Core 2 @ 2GHz ... that should be well more than enough. If you have any problems, please let me know in PM.

Quote:
Who cares about the UI?. What matters is the fact that its emulation of SNES is CLOSE to PERFECT!.

It is indeed very good, especially when you consider how fast it is. The main issue right now is you need to use an older version for SA-1 support, but otherwise all the triple-A titles work great.

I strongly encourage you to keep ZSNES, and to use only it when running on battery power.

:D Works like a peach, no issues as of now although I have not tried all my roms. Did have a slight problem in assigning the correct buttons on to my gamepads , but thats sorted out. Also , while assigning buttons to my second pad, i got some sort of prompt on calibrating the controller, which has not happened for any other emu. Wasn't a problem , just a bit strange(Didn't happen with my first pad which is a logitech rumblepad2 wireless)

:wink:
nightwolf5903

Post by nightwolf5903 »

if i am in violation of rules by posting these pics , moderators feel free to delete them ..

A few pics of my "emulation setup" :P

zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator): i am getting 60 fps , not bad i guess..
bsnes- same , i am getting around 60 , with the "energycut" feature on "balanced"

not related but i downloaded "Kega Fusion" for genesis/megadrive and all earlier Sega systems , and i have to say,its brilliant.Plays 95 percent of games perfectly. Great GUI , very easy to use and easy on the eye. Multitude of options for customization , ability to capture avi videos from the game...fantastic stuff..

i'll be very interested if these guys have a crack at SNES :)

some screens"

Image Sonic 3D

Image Brian lara cricket

Image virtuafighter
Image street fightr

Image streets of rage
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

nightwolf5903 wrote:Image
"ok"
i'll be very interested if these guys have a crack at SNES :)
Those systems are completely different deep down. And I don't know if another snes emu would have an audience;
I mean, there's bsnes for those who want more accuracy, snesgt for those who don't have enough oomph but still want accuracy, snes9x for the tasers, bsnes and/or snes9x for the romhackers, jsnes for those with weird machines and (old versions of) zsnes for the crazy doods with pentium 2s.
zsnes itself (if we ever get back on track) won't be much more than a pumped up snesgt with (hopefully) shiny features up the gazook and redundant for tasing/romhacking.

What else is needed ? (This is not a rhetorical question, btw)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

Also , while assigning buttons to my second pad, i got some sort of prompt on calibrating the controller, which has not happened for any other emu. Wasn't a problem , just a bit strange(Didn't happen with my first pad which is a logitech rumblepad2 wireless)
The calibration is required to support pressure-sensitive buttons. Think of the Xbox 360 controller's shoulder buttons. Sadly, PC controller APIs are stuck in the 20th century and treat those buttons exactly the same as analog thumb sticks. Luckily you only have to calibrate once when setting up the controller for the first time. Other emulators don't support these buttons at all, hence they don't have the calibration prompt.

The Xbox 360 controller was especially annoying. The analog buttons blend their inputs together, meaning you can't detect both buttons being pressed at the same time using DirectInput. So I also have XInput support in there just for those.
My dream ;)

ZSNESv2 should fulfill the role of fast, accurate and open source (as in not just Windows.) Though it'll be limited to x86, we know that won't go away in the next 100 years anyway, and it covers Windows+OS X+Linux+BSD just fine. The use of Qt theming will give people the choice between the classic love-infused GUI, and a modern desktop-integrated GUI. I hope that it'll remain the most popular.

bsnes would focus on developers, with an increasingly sophisticated debugger and emulation of the things that slow performance while not affecting any known games (mul/div delays, HDMA glitch, S-SMP TEST register, mid-scanline PPU writes, etc.) With ZSNESv2 out, it can stop optimizing and go back to code clarity, eg replacing unsigned types with uint24, etc; the whole thing serving as a source-level documentation project as it was meant to.

And most importantly, I can stop bitching like an asshole at you guys and instead offer to help out with patch submissions. I'd really like to help finish up the SA-1 character conversion support, add XInput support, etc.

The only thing needed after this is a fast, portable (can still have ASM cores as an option), reasonably accurate (eg plays the most popular 98% of games with game-specific hacks) open source emulator for all the low-powered devices like cell phones, Nintendo-made gaming consoles, etc. Snes9X is not it. With the focus on improving compatibility, its speed is "only" 3.5x above bsnes' now. It's having trouble with SuperFX/SA-1 games on many devices. And even as they get faster, battery life is still a concern here.

All three should have all the features you expect: netplay, movie recording, macros, save states, rewind, soft-patching, etc.

The rest of the market can go to novelties like virtual 3D game rooms, 20 games running at the same time spinning around on a dodecahedron, thousand-systems-in-one multi-emulators, playing inside web browsers, trade secret closed source Windows only emulators, and of course, mIRCSNES. Nothing wrong with novelties, of course. We can assimilate the most useful concepts into ours.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

... shiny features
would that features may include hypothetical stuff such as Deflate function for SPC7110 ? iirc Nach propose this.

or, user configure-able tweak, such as option to choose VRAM write restriction should be applied or not, etc.. etc.. (somewhat like no$gmb option stuff).

i believe some old translation patch actualy do (or will, for new emerging translation patch), take advantages of zsnes 'features' that divergences from real hardware.

certain someone will hate me by saying above
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Rashidi wrote:
... shiny features
would that features may include hypothetical stuff such as Deflate function for SPC7110 ? iirc Nach propose this.

or, user configure-able tweak, such as option to choose VRAM write restriction should be applied or not, etc.. etc.. (somewhat like no$gmb option stuff).

i believe some old translation patch actualy do (or will, for new emerging translation patch), take advantages of zsnes 'features' that divergences from real hardware.

certain someone will hate me by saying above
Those patches should be tossed away like the pieces of crap they are...

but I don't hate you. if I did, last night would not have happened.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Rashidi wrote: i believe some old translation patch actualy do (or will, for new emerging translation patch), take advantages of zsnes 'features' that divergences from real hardware.
Indeed they do. Indeed they do.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
byuu

Post by byuu »

Rashidi wrote:certain someone will hate me by saying above
You're damn right he will :P

Seriously though, I would be willing to bet that once no emulator supports it, someone will go back and make fix patches for these games. High rollers only, though. $100k minimum bet ;)

The only one that'll be totally lost is Dejap's BL emulator patch, which abused that limitation as much as humanly possible. Fixing it would just make the copier patch.
Paladin Knight
Rookie

WTF?

Post by Paladin Knight »

I personally don't know why this guy is complaining. I've always loved the way ZSNES looks, more so than any other emulator. In fact, if I could somehow make emulators for other systems look like ZSNES does, I'd do that, but...I'm no programmer, at least not yet.
panzerstrike

Re: WTF?

Post by panzerstrike »

Paladin Knight wrote:I personally don't know why this guy is complaining. I've always loved the way ZSNES looks, more so than any other emulator. In fact, if I could somehow make emulators for other systems look like ZSNES does, I'd do that, but...I'm no programmer, at least not yet.
I also prefer ZSNES's unique UI.