ZSNES and Linux

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Snore

ZSNES and Linux

Post by Snore »

So, installed ZSNES on my machine today. The latest version for sure. Using Linux Mint 11 (Basing on Ubuntu 11.04). Installation and everything worked. Though I have a strange error occuring. Everytime I load a ROM I can't create a game account at all. I can press "Enter" to skip the intro, even use my arrow keys but entering a name for an account doesn't work. In some games it doesn't even won't let me create a new account at all. Very strange.... :(
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Re: ZSNES and Linux

Post by Johan_H »

can't tell if trolling but whatever
Do you mean create a new save file? Not every game lets you do that.

If you're trying to type a name with the keyboard, you can't since the SNES doesn't have a keyboard. The controller looks like this.
Snore

Post by Snore »

Secret of Mana for example. I can't start an account at all. I do get to the displayed alphabet but I can't enter the name of a new account because my keyboard doesn't let me. The arrow keys work, "Enter" does as well when I have to skip a game intro but that's all. I can't enter a name. And no, pressing either A or B won't help.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Do you mean the A and B keys on your keybaord, or the SNES controller?

Remember, these are SNES games. They cannot read a full keyboard. They know EIGHT buttons, plus a d-pad. Nothing more, nothing less. That beautiful >100-button keyboard on your desk is meaningless to them. You CANNOT type text with your keyboard, as the game CANNOT READ a keyboard.

Hence why there's a full alphabet and a cursor onscreen. You use the arrow keys to highlight the proper character, and the SNES buttons to input them(typically, B is the button to enter a character)

By default the controller is mapped as follows:

SNES controller button = real keyboard button
A = X
B = Z
X = S
Y = A
L = D
R = C
Select = right shift
Start = Return
D-pad = arrow keys

Does that help?
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
Snore

Post by Snore »

On the keyboard. No, it doesn't help. As I have already mentioned. Nothing works. I tried the given keys and also any other key. Nothing works.
Snore

Post by Snore »

Okay, I de-installed it and downloaded it via the "Synaptic Package Manager" and now it runs.