WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Re: WHAT GAMES ARE YOU PLAYING THESE DAYS

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:... a downloadable version ...
Yes! Another recruit to the cause! We may yet win the war against misuse of the word digital!
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:Also, FF4DS is HARD compared to the original Japanese SNES version and infinitely harder than the PSP version in the complete collection. There's a part where a certain girl rejoins your party that's very different from the original, and the boss in that section wrecked my shit a few times before I got past it.
you ain't seen nothin' yet!

currently doing my Hero-mode Skyward Sword run after letting the game sit for about a year and a half; i'm just about to enter the second temple. the added tension due to taking double damage and having nothing drop hearts is excellent, punishing you for sloppy execution you could otherwise get away with in normal mode.

it does, however, turn those damn skulltulas into a nightmare. protip: shield-bashing a hanging skulltula is NOT a good idea, even if you thought hitting it slightly to one side might make it spin around. the actual result: shitshitshitOHSHI~
i really, really don't like spiders.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yuber wrote:I really want to play Xenoblade Chronicles, but son of a whore that fucking game is expensive, even used/disc only.
And for good cause, since it's fucking awesome. Save up and barf that sweet cash !
odditude wrote:it does, however, turn those damn skulltulas into a nightmare. protip: shield-bashing a hanging skulltula is NOT a good idea, even if you thought hitting it slightly to one side might make it spin around. the actual result: shitshitshitOHSHI~
i really, really don't like spiders.
why the hell do you think this exists :p

Oh yeah, also Rogue's Legacy is furiously bonkersauce. The best sauce.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

FF4DS hard? I die in the first cave to the random encounters.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

grinvader wrote:And for good cause, since it's fucking awesome. Save up and barf that sweet cash !
If I had a Wii or WiiU I'd consider it, but I don't want to buy a system in addition to one very expensive game, as awesome as it apparently is. It's Panzer Dragoon Saga and Suikoden 2 all over again, and I wish they'd reprint that baby since the WiiU is backwards compatible. I don't have a Saturn or PDS, but at least I bought Suikoden 2 a few weeks after it came out. 1 was good, but 2 is an absolute masterpiece other than its spotty translation. It's such a great RPG that the trans. doesn't bother me much though. If you haven't played Suikoden 1-2, do yourself a favor and play them. You don't HAVE to play 1 but you can load your save date from 1 to get some bonuses/secrets in 2, plus a better understanding of S2's story.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Yes! Another recruit to the cause! We may yet win the war against misuse of the word digital!
I still have a bad habit of using digital to describe downloadable games because it's so commonly used and most people know I'm talking about DDs. DD is better shorthand though. Speaking of which, once X on the WiiU releases, maybe there will be an HD remaster or at least a DD version of Xenoblade available. I'm not getting my hopes up considering how dismal WiiU sales are right now, but I hope they reach at least, say, Gamecube levels once games like MK8 and Smash are out. I bet X will beat the shit out of FFXV quality wise, and it's the one reason I may buy a WiiU.

I can't wait to play Dragon Quest VIII, but I want to research the game more/make sure I'll enjoy it before buying; thank God it's so cheap on Amazon. I'm fairly new to DQ other than 1 when I was a kid, and I've played a little of 4 & 5 on the DS but other than that, nothing. If 8 is anywhere near 5's quality, I'll be hooked.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:
grinvader wrote:And for good cause, since it's fucking awesome. Save up and barf that sweet cash !
If I had a Wii or WiiU I'd consider it, but I don't want to buy a system in addition to one very expensive game, as awesome as it apparently is.
MURAMASA.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
odditude

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:I still have a bad habit of using digital to describe downloadable games because it's so commonly used and most people know I'm talking about DDs.
how 'bout just "downloadable?"

i, for one, miss the days of analog downloads. sing to me, oh v.34 handshake, and tell me the speed you're negotiating with your dulcet tones. alas, that is the song of 14.4, let me cancel and retry and hope for at least 19.2...
Yuber wrote:I can't wait to play Dragon Quest VIII, but I want to research the game more/make sure I'll enjoy it before buying; thank God it's so cheap on Amazon. I'm fairly new to DQ other than 1 when I was a kid, and I've played a little of 4 & 5 on the DS but other than that, nothing. If 8 is anywhere near 5's quality, I'll be hooked.
just play it, trust me.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

odditude wrote:sing to me, oh v.34 handshake, and tell me the speed you're negotiating with your dulcet tones. alas, that is the song of 14.4, let me cancel and retry and hope for at least 19.2...
I think this one is a 33.6k, every other thing i got is a 56k.

I don't even remember how slow the old 14.4k went.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Playing Seiken Densetsu 3 with Duran, Lise, and Hawk, planning on going Dark-Light, Dark-Dark, Dark-Light respectively. Not bad so far, except it is kind of annoying having to spam candy during the boss fights, but I haven't lost yet. I've just gotten the gunpowder and I've saved before I head to the cannon.

I'm playing it fullscreen with mode switching on my CRT monitor, it vsyncs pretty much perfectly, I only notice stutters when I blink.

Yeah, I started the game ages ago, around the time of the release of the translation, but always ended up creating new parties almost immediately after reaching the opening credits, simply due to curiosity about the rest of the story. I never got to see how the mechanics actually play out with different party members. I think I'll actually play it to the end this time.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

odditude wrote: i, for one, miss the days of analog downloads. sing to me, oh v.34 handshake, and tell me the speed you're negotiating with your dulcet tones. alas, that is the song of 14.4, let me cancel and retry and hope for at least 19.2...

just play it, trust me.
Thanks for that.

Regarding DQ8, I've decided to buy it and play it after I'm finished with CT, FF6 and FF4DS. I really dig the Akira Toriyama cell-shaded graphics and from the videos I've seen of it, it looks like a really well made old-school JRPG. Without spoiling, how is the story? I generally play RPGs for the story but it doesn't have to be complex or anything as long as it's fairly well written and has good pacing. I've also heard DQ8 delivers a great sense of exploration which is something missing from garbage like FF13. it apparently doesn't hold your hand/isn't too easy, and that's another big plus.

Just play it(or them in this case) is what I say to people who haven't played Suikoden 1-2. If you don't wanna spend a shit ton of cash on 2 alone, just emulate them in epsxe. I really wish Konami would release a DD of S2 with an improved translation, but emulation is your best bet right now if you don't already own them. I wanna play DQ8 first, but it's about time for me to replay Suikoden 1-2. Some people love 3, but I think 2 is infinitely better.

Also SD3 is awesome, and I remember how good it looked on a CRT monitor back in the day. It's been years since I've played SD3(or 2/SOM). I'm gonna buy an old CRT TV so I can play my NES-PS2 games like they were meant to be played. Even with my awful vision, I can't stand the way old games look on HD monitors.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:Without spoiling, how is the story? I generally play RPGs for the story but it doesn't have to be complex or anything as long as it's fairly well written and has good pacing. I've also heard DQ8 delivers a great sense of exploration which is something missing from garbage like FF13. it apparently doesn't hold your hand/isn't too easy, and that's another big plus.
i enjoyed the story just as much as the gameplay. the challenge level is solid, and there's no need for excessive grinding til you hit the postgame.

as usual, no touching FAQs or whatnot until you've played through the whole game at least once, or you'll ruin half the fun.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Everything I've read about DQ8 suggests it's going to be amazing, and thanks for the reply regarding the story. Of course It's no fun playing games using a walkthrough/FAQ if it's your first time through. I did that with FF8 back in 99 because I didn't like the game much anyway; I wanted to break the game and finish it as quickly as possible. Of course with GOOD games it's always best to only read FAQs and fuck around during subsequent playthroughs.

If I'm really, really stuck in a game and I've been running around aimlessly for hours, I may read a FAQ briefly. If it's my 1st playthrough, I like to be as immersed in the game as possible and all the secret stuff can wait for my 2nd run.

I'm not using a FAQ in FF4DS even though the game is kicking my ass, plus I know nearly all the secrets in the original. The added a shit ton of extra items/abilites in the DS version though and I'm absolutely dreading the final dungeon. I generally over level a bit in RPGs so I want to be around lvl 70-75 max when I fight the last boss. I'm switchig between CT, FF6, and FF4DS so my progress is slow(and the game's fucking hard), plus I wanna finish FF6 since I'm pretty close to the end.

As always, this post is ridiculously long. I'm long winded to a fault, but it's just my style.
odditude

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:FFIV DS last dungeon etc etc
two words: red dragons.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

The big stacks of red dragons were annoying even in the original. I absolutely fucking HATE those death masks too since it usually takes a while to run from them and while they're not hard(in the original), they annoy the living shit out of me with their casting speed. I've seen youtube footage of the final boss and unlike the original, when it starts casting Meteor it actually does a shit ton of damage. BB alone is bad enough.

This remake is the main reason I demand remakes of other classics, especially FF6-7 and CT. IMO, FF4DS is significantly better than the original in pretty much every way so far. I may try to get to level 80 before the last boss considering how much damage it does with BB and Meteor.

edit: I'm at the Feymarch.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: This remake is the main reason I demand remakes of other classics, especially FF6-7 and CT. IMO, FF4DS is significantly better than the original in pretty much every way so far.
The fact that you think they can do it again in spite of how much evidence to the contrary SquareEnix has offered over the last few years is impressive.
Assume FF4DS is a freak accident and any other attempts at remaking a game will be the typical SquareEnix quality.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I dunno man, the DQ DS games are pretty damn good as well so I certainly wouldn't call it a freak accident. Those remakes show that if you put time and care into your games, even a fallen company like SE can still make some good shit. Now if only they would design a CT remake in a similar style to the CR project. Even the 3DS could pull that off. Also, hope you're not a fan of the BoF series, because if you are I bet you're very disappointed. I never got into those games but making #6 a generic IOS/Android abomination must be a massive disappointment for fans of the series.

I'm finishing FF6(have everyone but Gogo/Umaro) and CT(a certain castle before a great fight) before getting back to FF4DS and finishing it. I imagine DQ8 is going to take me a long time to finish, but it's one of those games I'll almost definitely enjoy and get addicted to. I love going into FF3usME and making the bosses ridiculously hard because if I don't I can blow through that game in my sleep. As much as I love FF6, it's one of the easiest games I've ever played and I dominated it as a kid too. I got REALLY overpowered before the final boss during my 1st playthrough and was disappointed because I finished the last boss in 1 turn with Sabin+Genji Glove/Offering and 2 tiger fangs.

For anyone curious, you can steal tiger fangs from GT Behemoths in a certain tower.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote: Also, hope you're not a fan of the BoF series, because if you are I bet you're very disappointed. I never got into those games but making #6 a generic IOS/Android abomination must be a massive disappointment for fans of the series.
Capcom still MAKES Breath of Fire?
The fact that Capcom is willing to spend the money to MAKE a game with such niche appeal means more than the fact that they put it out on "the wrong system." Which is all I take from your complaint without you detailing actual PROBLEMS with the game.

/me pulls his Android device out and plays some Canabalt.

As much as I love FF6, it's one of the easiest games I've ever played and I dominated it as a kid too.
OH SHIT, IT'S IMTHEBESTATGAMES!
</ancient_reference>
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Capcom still MAKES Breath of Fire?
The fact that Capcom is willing to spend the money to MAKE a game with such niche appeal means more than the fact that they put it out on "the wrong system." Which is all I take from your complaint without you detailing actual PROBLEMS with the game.
http://www.destructoid.com/breath-of-fi ... 9147.phtml
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219

The thing is they didn't make a new BoF. After ten years of fans practically begging for a new game, they took some korean freemium mobage online "game" and slapped the boF6 name on it. Not even bothering to actually re-skin the game to look like BoF. It looks like any other maple story clone. There's no familiar character in sight, and it's all cheapass paper cutout animation. The PC version is going to be a browser game. That should tell you more than enough.

This is on the same level of Megaman Xover. And if you don't remember that, it's best you don't look it up.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

blackmyst wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Capcom still MAKES Breath of Fire?
http://www.destructoid.com/breath-of-fi ... 9147.phtml
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641219

The thing is they didn't make a new BoF. After ten years of fans practically begging for a new game, they took some korean freemium mobage online "game" and slapped the boF6 name on it. Not even bothering to actually re-skin the game to look like BoF. It looks like any other maple story clone. There's no familiar character in sight, and it's all cheapass paper cutout animation. The PC version is going to be a browser game. That should tell you more than enough.

This is on the same level of Megaman Xover. And if you don't remember that, it's best you don't look it up.
Ah.
THAT'S more like the schizophrenic Capcom we know and love to loathe.

See, this is the kind of detail that matters, not "Oh god, it's on a POCKET COMPUTER instead of a LOCKED-DOWN POCKET COMPUTER SOLD BY NINTENDO OR SONY!"
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well when I heard the platforms announced I thought, oh well at least it's on PC too, I'll take anything. Until I realized what that choice of platform next to tablets and phones actually meant (i.e. browser based)... And lo and behold, my fears came true, and worse. :/

Time to replay 1-5 I guess.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Gil, I didn't detail it because I incorrectly assumed you had heard about it. I don't mind mobile games, but I'd prefer, say, a real effort on the 3DS(that could be ported to other platforms) than a generic cash grab like BoF6. It is Capcom though, so the only surprising thing is that it's BoF since they're already well known for greedy nonsense and shitting on as many fans as possible. People that rail against companies like Capcom yet still buy their games annoy me almost as much. If you hate a company's business practices, speak with your wallet.

Also, you don't have to be at all good at games to dominate the shit out of FF6. Even not counting vanish/death or X-zone,(those bugs are fixed in the version I'm playing) you can 1-turn kill almost any boss using a high level character with the Genji Glove/Offering combo(Ultima Weapon+any other powerful weapon). I refuse to do that or spam Ultima and it's still a very easy game if I don't edit the bosses and make them a LOT stronger.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

i like suplexing trains
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

As funny as the train suplex is to watch, everyone knows that the only practical way to prevent a train from running you over is to sprinkle red bird feathers on it.

edit: I actually think it's funnier when Sabin gets confused and suplexes himself.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Yuber wrote:Also, FF4DS is HARD compared to the original Japanese SNES version and infinitely harder than the PSP version in the complete collection. There's a part where a certain girl rejoins your party that's very different from the original, and the boss in that section wrecked my shit a few times before I got past it.
Lemme guess, Golbez after you pwn Calcobrena, right?

Cast slow on Golbez as soon as the battle starts. It'll make this fight considerably easier.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yuber wrote:Also, you don't have to be at all good at games to dominate the shit out of FF6.
You saw the part about that being an ancient reference, right?

There was once, in the dark days of dialup internet, a zboard troll who used the name IMTHEBESTATGAMES.

He was a video game god and none could beat him, or so he claimed. Racing, fighters, puzzles, you name it he was the best in the world at it. He was so good at games because he was bipolar, which means he thinks faster than normal people. Anyone claiming that wasn't what that word means was clearly brainwashed by... someone.
He discovered his super powers by playing FF2 on his SNES. It was the hardest game he'd ever played, because he never realized there was a menu screen and he beat it with starting equipment. After that, he was unstoppable.

There's more to the story, but that's the gist of it.
The statement about FF6 being easy reminded me of him, and thus I made a stupid joke that roughly no one gets.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads