[FEATURE] Bi-Linear Filter.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

JAPPsmash
Rookie

Post by JAPPsmash »

Let's suppose that we have set 640x480 DR or DS full and HI-Res Mode 7 enabled. What does it do? It increases 3D planes resolutions, like F-Zero tracks. A clear example of that is the Yoshi's Island... Look at the edges of the island...

Hi-Res Mode 7 DISABLED

Hi-Res Mode 7 ENABLED

See the difference? Of course it will not affect sprites, only 3D planes.
Butters
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

Nach wrote:
MaxSt wrote:
Nach wrote:BTW, anyone know what kind of filtering hi res mode 7 uses?
Each filter (hq2x, 2xsai, etc) handles mode 7 lines as it wishes...
Yes. But what does the Hi Res Mode 7 filter do?
Well, I don't think it's a filter. That mode means that some horisontal lines are "special", they contain 512 real pixels, instead of normal 256. For example, the width of HQ3x output is 768, and when that filter run into that special line, it has to figure out how to stretch 512 into 768. If I remember correctly, I implemented some very simple streching in that case.

EDIT: Yes, and I'm not sure what that button "Hi Res Mode 7" in the GUI does.

MaxSt.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

MaxSt wrote:
Nach wrote:
MaxSt wrote:
Nach wrote:BTW, anyone know what kind of filtering hi res mode 7 uses?
Each filter (hq2x, 2xsai, etc) handles mode 7 lines as it wishes...
Yes. But what does the Hi Res Mode 7 filter do?
Well, I don't think it's a filter. That mode means that some horisontal lines are "special", they contain 512 real pixels, instead of normal 256. For example, the width of HQ3x output is 768, and when that filter run into that special line, it has to figure out how to stretch 512 into 768. If I remember correctly, I implemented some very simple streching in that case.

EDIT: Yes, and I'm not sure what that button "Hi Res Mode 7" in the GUI does.

MaxSt.
I was under hte impression it added horizontal lines, so it worked like mode 7 had double the vertical resolution. Hence why the in the Mario Kart comparison you can see the finish line in the high-res shot, but not the normal shot.
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I was under hte impression it added horizontal lines, so it worked like mode 7 had double the vertical resolution. Hence why the in the Mario Kart comparison you can see the finish line in the high-res shot, but not the normal shot.
Well, actually there are several sub-modes. Sometimes it doubles horizontal resolution, sometimes - vertical, sometimes it looks like interlacing or something... I'm not sure, I had to copy-paste some of that code from other place without clear understanding how it works. It just looks like the code is handling several different hi-res modes.

MaxSt.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

MaxSt wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:I was under hte impression it added horizontal lines, so it worked like mode 7 had double the vertical resolution. Hence why the in the Mario Kart comparison you can see the finish line in the high-res shot, but not the normal shot.
Well, actually there are several sub-modes. Sometimes it doubles horizontal resolution, sometimes - vertical, sometimes it looks like interlacing or something... I'm not sure, I had to copy-paste some of that code from other place without clear understanding how it works. It just looks like the code is handling several different hi-res modes.

MaxSt.
Ah.
Nice bit of oldschool code in there, I'm sure.
I wonder when it was last edited.