Request: renew the GUI Skin

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Re: Request: renew the GUI Skin

Post by Nightcrawler »

Nach wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote: Yeah except it takes 2 seconds to modify the SNES9x GUI and everyone cries and complains when it comes time to modify the ZSNES GUI because it's such an ass pain.

SNES9x guys can concentrate more on emulation instead of spending a long time on the GUI.

So, the way I see things, the SNES9x GUI isn't all that bad.
Snes9x does not have a GUI. Snes9x has a different GUI for every platform.
Or sort of. Some platforms have no GUI. That's not easy to modify, that's a pain in the neck, have to make a different change for each platform over and over when you want to do something, and Snes9x has a lot of platforms.

And still some users get no GUI.

Snes9x is actually worse off than ZSNES in this area.
Windows version for version, SNES9x is much more pleasant to handle. That was my point. I should have been more specific.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Nightcrawler wrote: Windows version for version, SNES9x is much more pleasant to handle.
For who? Windows users? Developers?

Snes9x on Linux is annoying with absolutely no GUI.
anomie also rewrote the graphics engine for Snes9x, much much more accurate now. But you won't be seeing it in the Windows port any time soon, since it all has to be rewritten to match anomie's changes.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by dissociative »

Murdock wrote: As far as the backspace key to fast forward I am guessing you can assign a key for that in the key config.

EDIT

You can under Misc -> Game keys There is a fast forward setting default is ~
Out of curiosity why isn't there a default key for rewind?
the case is that in the sp-la keyboards the '~' key doesn't appear and I have the big custom of use the backspace key for fastforward and is very annoying for me setting these key or exporting the cfg file in each release of zsnes
Murdock
Rookie

Post by Murdock »

asd wrote:the case is that in the sp-la keyboards the '~' key doesn't appear and I have the big custom of use the backspace key for fastforward and is very annoying for me setting these key or exporting the cfg file in each release of zsnes
I am just a user of zsnes so its not my place to tell you "quit being so lazy and just assign the key to another button", so I won't.

Although I do have to question why it's so difficult for you. If a new WIP came out every day I could somewhat understand or if the key config wasn't saved I would completly understand.

Anyways you could probally make a small program in something easy like VB to insert text into the .cfg file so you would only have to click an exe to do it for you, but I havn't touched VB since college.

But seriously is it that much work to redo your keys after you download a new version? I am willing to bet, half the members of this board assign special keys manualy when a new version of ZSNES is released.
[quote="Clements"]People who [i]dye[/i] their hair blonde are usually the dumb ones, since they often care more about their outward appearance than their personality or intellect.[/quote]
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Nach wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote: Windows version for version, SNES9x is much more pleasant to handle.
Yes.

I have a horrible tendency to implicity dismiss the existence of other platforms sometimes. hehe

The logic behind my thinking was that it is easier to modify a standard GUI in windows than it is for the ZSNES GUI in windows. That's the only point I was trying to make. That's also assuming the developer is knowledgable in that area.

Ok... I never expected to discuss my little blurb to death like this, so I'll just leave it at that and call it a day.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Murdock wrote:
asd wrote:the case is that in the sp-la keyboards the '~' key doesn't appear and I have the big custom of use the backspace key for fastforward and is very annoying for me setting these key or exporting the cfg file in each release of zsnes
I am just a user of zsnes so its not my place to tell you "quit being so lazy and just assign the key to another button", so I won't.

Although I do have to question why it's so difficult for you. If a new WIP came out every day I could somewhat understand or if the key config wasn't saved I would completly understand.

Anyways you could probally make a small program in something easy like VB to insert text into the .cfg file so you would only have to click an exe to do it for you, but I havn't touched VB since college.

But seriously is it that much work to redo your keys after you download a new version? I am willing to bet, half the members of this board assign special keys manualy when a new version of ZSNES is released.
I defy the readmes and attemtpt to use my current CFG and INI. :P
Nightcrawler wrote:
Nach wrote:
Yes.

I have a horrible tendency to implicity dismiss the existence of other platforms sometimes. hehe

The logic behind my thinking was that it is easier to modify a standard GUI in windows than it is for the ZSNES GUI in windows. That's the only point I was trying to make. That's also assuming the developer is knowledgable in that area.

Ok... I never expected to discuss my little blurb to death like this, so I'll just leave it at that and call it a day.
There is a point in here. Stuff like GTK can be used on Windows and Linux both. But not DOS. I think there's libraries intended to do DOS GUIs, though.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Murdock wrote:You can under Misc -> Game keys There is a fast forward setting default is ~ Out of curiosity why isn't there a default key for rewind?
There is no key for rewind by default because once one is defined then rewind starts being used and requires more memory. So it's optional that way.
deathtok
Hazed

Post by deathtok »

The ZSNES GUI is pretty awesome. With the filtered option on it looks great. The only option that might be cool is instead of just screen savers the ability to show a JPEG or BMP would be neat. But I don't think it needs to be converted to a "standard Windows" GUI.