DOS Users, can you check something for me?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

DOS Users, can you check something for me?

Post by ipher »

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=119677

Basically, i need to know if this bug still occurs.
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The problem with this bug is how to reproduce...

Besides, I can't really tell the difference between most sound interpolation modes...

I have no problems changing sound modes, but it always requires quitting the emulator to save the changes. This occurs with ALL of the sound settings.

There's some really nasty bugs in the DOS port.. that over time, will be worse (at the rate of the changes made, and those not made to the DOS port)..
AspiringSquire
Born to Rule... Impatiently

Post by AspiringSquire »

Deathlike2 wrote:The problem with this bug is how to reproduce...
The way I have encountered the bug is in the GUI; if you check a mode of sound interpolation other than Gaussian (or uncheck Gaussian, thus having no filters selected), the setting will be reset to Gaussian the instant a game is started or resumed. Note that the low-pass filters can be selected just fine.

And yes this problem still exists.
[url=http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3298][color=brown]My [u]NES palette[/u][/color][/url] - better colors with any emulator.

"the more you know, and the more you can do... the more you are."
- [url=http://www.danielbohman.com][color=brown][u]daniel bohman[/u][/color][/url]
Esturk
Lurker

Post by Esturk »

I've noticed a bug in the Win port.
1)While playing a game, Let's say for instance you have Gaussian Interpolation enabled. Then you decide to turn it off while the game is running.

2)You press ESC and turn it off Everything is fine. You resume playing.

3)But then you decide to turn it on again, you press ESC again for the menu and enable Gaussian. Zsnes crashes to the desktop.

Kind of a strange bug, but it's happened to me several times while playing a game. Not a huge deal to me really.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Forgive my ignorance, but could someone explain it to me why all those interpolation/lowpass options are there? I mean, shouldn't zsnes just do what sounds most like the snes and leave it at that? If the other modes actually improved the sound I might understand them as features, but they just sound less accurate than default.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

FitzRoy wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but could someone explain it to me why all those interpolation/lowpass options are there? I mean, shouldn't zsnes just do what sounds most like the snes and leave it at that? If the other modes actually improved the sound I might understand them as features, but they just sound less accurate than default.
They are there because some people like those. Low Pass filter produces more bass, so people with subwoofers might find that enjoyable.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Don't subwoofers have little knobs on them to do that, or the equipment that they're passed through?
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

AspiringSquire wrote:And yes this problem still exists.
Thanks AspiringSquire.
Esturk wrote:I've noticed a bug in the Win port.
1)While playing a game, Let's say for instance you have Gaussian Interpolation enabled. Then you decide to turn it off while the game is running.

3)But then you decide to turn it on again, you press ESC again for the menu and enable Gaussian. Zsnes crashes to the desktop.

Kind of a strange bug, but it's happened to me several times while playing a game. Not a huge deal to me really.
I remember this from somewhere (Official Bug Topic maybe?) but i can't reproduce it with current CVS. Does this occur in the 2/10 WIP?
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

FitzRoy wrote:Don't subwoofers have little knobs on them to do that, or the equipment that they're passed through?
Not always.
Mine is a PC 2.1 set. The subwoofer's a passthrough, with no adjustments.

True, I could jack the bass up within Windows, but...
Esturk
Lurker

Post by Esturk »

ipher wrote:
AspiringSquire wrote:And yes this problem still exists.
Thanks AspiringSquire.
Esturk wrote:I've noticed a bug in the Win port.

I remember this from somewhere (Official Bug Topic maybe?) but i can't reproduce it with current CVS. Does this occur in the 2/10 WIP?
Yes, that is the version I am currently using.