Vibration efect

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

JAhU

Vibration efect

Post by JAhU »

It would be nice if there would be vibration efect in zsnes. :D
I mean linking vibrations to values(memory adresses) like in cheat
search and cheats. Everytime value rises or lowers or just chenges,
pads or joystics or other stuff with vibrator inside could vibrate.
List of those could be stored in file(like cheats).

Example:

I play Secret of Mana.
I link this efect to main characters hp.
I selsct option lower, and my pad vibrates when hp lowers.
So when I(character in game) got hit, my pad vibrates. :lol:

This is only my idea but i hope zsnes team could add vibration
efect to zsnes( and I hope it is understable what I have written here :roll: ).

P.S. I know my english is very bad, so ask if you don't understand
something.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

How would you go about doing that? The original SNES didn't have vibration support. Stuff like savestates, SPC dumps and the like are a different matter. For vibration/rumble games, need to support it.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

He explained how it would be done. It would be linked to a user defined memory address and vibrate on decrease in his HP example.

It's feasable to do, but I'm not sure how many people would be interested. Only people that use a controller with the vibration feature could even think about wanting this feature. It really has nothing to do with the SNES or emulation. It's a completely seperate side feature. I think most people would rather pass on this and have the development efforts on things that are more related and important. But, I guess it doesn't hurt to bring things up anyway.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Post by The Sage Of Time »

I have a PS2 controller here, but the adapter doesn't have vibration support.. It claims that it does, but I've never gotten it to work.. This is an interesting idea, and as said I guess it is feasible. But yea, it wouldn't be much use to me, and I can't see a lot of other people making use of it either.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The Sage Of Time wrote:I have a PS2 controller here, but the adapter doesn't have vibration support.. It claims that it does, but I've never gotten it to work.. This is an interesting idea, and as said I guess it is feasible. But yea, it wouldn't be much use to me, and I can't see a lot of other people making use of it either.
What adapter is that?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Agozer wrote:
The Sage Of Time wrote:I have a PS2 controller here, but the adapter doesn't have vibration support.. It claims that it does, but I've never gotten it to work.. This is an interesting idea, and as said I guess it is feasible. But yea, it wouldn't be much use to me, and I can't see a lot of other people making use of it either.
What adapter is that?
Some cheap RadioShack POS adapter. I tried ordering a decent one from Lik Sang before, but apparently those are made in Korea? Well I couldn't care less, but for some unknown reason my credit card company rejects transactions to there. So meh..
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

The Sage Of Time wrote:
Agozer wrote:
What adapter is that?
Some cheap RadioShack POS adapter. I tried ordering a decent one from Lik Sang before, but apparently those are made in Korea? Well I couldn't care less, but for some unknown reason my credit card company rejects transactions to there. So meh..
You have to install the drivers from the disk/cd to get the vibration to work.

The problem with the vibration thing is that it is difficult to impliment from what I understand, and it was never actually part of an snes.
To truly own, you must own at all games.
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Nightcrawler wrote:He explained how it would be done. It would be linked to a user defined memory address and vibrate on decrease in his HP example.
And I dare say that's not a bad thought. At least he has a good idea of how to do it, unlike some other suggestions.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

rlbond wrote: You have to install the drivers from the disk/cd to get the vibration to work.

The problem with the vibration thing is that it is difficult to impliment from what I understand, and it was never actually part of an snes.
Drivers are on a floppy, and this computer doesn't have a floppy drive. (I never use them anymore, who does?) And I don't feel like digging through old comp parts and temporarily installing one for just that.

Besides.. They had a download for the driver on their site. Assuming it's the same one.. That did squat.
Noxious Ninja wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:He explained how it would be done. It would be linked to a user defined memory address and vibrate on decrease in his HP example.
And I dare say that's not a bad thought. At least he has a good idea of how to do it, unlike some other suggestions.
I agree, the idea is actually not bad at all. Though how many people would use it, and it's priority for implementation is a little questionable.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

This is an acceptable idea for another side feature, but I absolutely don't know how to implement pad vibration, either in DirectX or SDL.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

The Sage Of Time wrote:
rlbond wrote: You have to install the drivers from the disk/cd to get the vibration to work.

Drivers are on a floppy, and this computer doesn't have a floppy drive. (I never use them anymore, who does?) And I don't feel like digging through old comp parts and temporarily installing one for just that.

Besides.. They had a download for the driver on their site. Assuming it's the same one.. That did squat.
Odd... Rumble works fine on my RadioShack adapter. Does it work when you try it in the calibration window?
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

grinvader wrote:This is an acceptable idea for another side feature, but I absolutely don't know how to implement pad vibration, either in DirectX or SDL.
It's called Force Feedback and it's supported under DirectInput effects.
Just look up Force Feedback in the DX9 documentation. The documentation isn't wonderful, but it gives a general idea of how to do it.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

kevman wrote:
The Sage Of Time wrote:

Odd... Rumble works fine on my RadioShack adapter. Does it work when you try it in the calibration window?
It's never worked under any condition, including that windoww. The controllers Force Feedback does function I'll note.. (It's not broken, not the controllers fault.) A few times I was just baffled at it and had to test it out on the PS2 here to be sure, and it's fine there.

I really don't know why it doesn't.. This is the "second" Radioshack adapter I've had now, both claimed support of it, neither work. Been at least four different controllers tested on each, and the drivers from their site don't seem to do anything useful.
Saten

Post by Saten »

I wonder why people bother with ps2 adapters. How does it cost $15, $20 each? I got a Logitech Rumblepad 2, witch is probably (at least one of) the best pc controller you can have, and cost me $45 CAN with taxes. It’s almost the same thing as a Playstation controller. I think it rumbles better and it fits definitely better in your hands. Anyway, it’s just my opinion.

BTW, this rumble option is a good idea. I would probably use it all the time.

Here's what my controller looks like:
I’m not a satanist neither a bad person, I just love violence that’s all.
Why Saten and not Satan? Because I’m not a devil, it’s that simple!
The Sage Of Time
Hazed

Actually the adapters range about $9-12 USD. And since I already own the controllers for my PS2, I end up saving money that way. Besides, I really couldn't care less about the vibration feature, it's not at all a big deal to me really, not enough games I play on the PC even have support for it.

What gets me is it doesn't work, without visible reason. The feature isn't important, but it's slightly nagging that it claims to do something, and then it not work under any condition. Meh, whatever.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Nightcrawler wrote:It's called Force Feedback and it's supported under DirectInput effects.
Just look up Force Feedback in the DX9 documentation. The documentation isn't wonderful, but it gives a general idea of how to do it.
So we'd have to link zsnes up to DX9 instead of DX8 now ?
Bleh.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Saten wrote:I wonder why people bother with ps2 adapters. How does it cost $15, $20 each? I got a Logitech Rumblepad 2, witch is probably (at least one of) the best pc controller you can have, and cost me $45 CAN with taxes. It’s almost the same thing as a Playstation controller. I think it rumbles better and it fits definitely better in your hands. Anyway, it’s just my opinion.

It makes perfect sense. I owned a PS1.. I got a PS2.. I have extra controllers. I scored a TWO port PS2 adapter for less than $10 shipped off ebay. So for <$10 I now have TWO good controllers with both digital and analog controls. It's economical and a no brainer if you ask me.

Why should I spend double or triple that for ONE controller?
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

grinvader wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:It's called Force Feedback and it's supported under DirectInput effects.
Bleh.
I'm not sure. I don't have any DX8 documentation handy to see if ForceFeedback is supported there. I'm pretty sure DX8 also had some sort of force feedback support, but I can't confirm.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Nightcrawler wrote:
grinvader wrote:
Bleh.
I'm not sure. I don't have any DX8 documentation handy to see if ForceFeedback is supported there. I'm pretty sure DX8 also had some sort of force feedback support, but I can't confirm.
It is supported, AFAIK. Microsoft showcased it back in the day in a few of its games. Motocross Madness comes to mind.
JAhU

Post by JAhU »

Some games that used directX 8 alse had vibration effects(Tony Howk 4).
I have some old(very old) directX components for Delphi and Force
Feedback is supported in DirectInput (but for some reason it doesn't
work with my pad at all, mayby those components are too old :? ).
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

Saten wrote:I wonder why people bother with ps2 adapters. How does it cost $15, $20 each? I got a Logitech Rumblepad 2, witch is probably (at least one of) the best pc controller you can have, and cost me $45 CAN with taxes. It’s almost the same thing as a Playstation controller. I think it rumbles better and it fits definitely better in your hands. Anyway, it’s just my opinion.

adapter is $12 at radioshack
used ps1 controller is $6 at gamestop ($3 if you don't want analog)

that's $18 US.
To truly own, you must own at all games.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

rlbond wrote:

adapter is $12 at radioshack
used ps1 controller is $6 at gamestop ($3 if you don't want analog)

that's $18 US.
With those, the feature and driver support is a mixed bag.

This thing kicks much ass, and has full driver support. With the installed software, full axis and button swapping and reprogramming per program if you find the in-game stuff to be insufficient. It can also set the pad as the primary controller on launch if necessary.

I also find the directional pad to be even better than the Dual Shock, and more comfortable. Oh, and it won't necessitate d-pad separation surgery, a process whereby you open your controller and chop the pad into four pieces with an X-acto knife or other cutting tool, for maximum false registration accident prevention. This has excellent audio and tactile feedback. Go ahead and drop into Best Buy, they have them on display right now for testing. Maybe Circuit City or CompUSA might have them out as well.

Yeah, more expensive, but you get what you pay for, and at least this time around, the hardware isn't crap.

EDIT: zOOMJ, looks like I bumped a two week old topic. Oh well, Rumblepad 2 for teh win!
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

If this doesn't suck too much energy from other tings, I think this is a good idea, even though my controller doesn't have vibration support.
Fieryblizzard

Post by Fieryblizzard »

I have a nifty little controller at home, very similar to the ps controllers, that has vibration support, and I think this would be an awesome ad-on as well!