Netplay hangs at "connecting" Stage.

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Smeep

Netplay hangs at "connecting" Stage.

Post by Smeep »

Hey!

I've been trying to get net play to work over the net for some time now. i can get it working on the LAN with no trouble. I have set up portforwarding, (As shown in later image) and I have allowed it access to the internet through my firewall, and I have also tried disabling my firewall.

When some one attempts to connect to me, it just stops at waiting for client, and if I try to connect to someone else, it just stops at "connecting to server... "

I'm pretty damned sure we are attempting to connect to the right IP address.

What would be great is if someone who already has this working could maybe add me to msn, or drop me an email, so we can arange to test it out, because I see nothing wrong at my end. my MSN is

rasta[NOSPAM]guy67(at)hotmail(dot)com

Delete [NOSPAM] and replace (at) and (dot) with @ and . respectively.

I believe I am running v1.36, because that's as far as my "whats new" file goes.

As you can see, I believe I have set up the correct port etc.
[url=http://www.paint-zone.co.uk/ball]Click here for paintballing webcomic[/url]
Knuckles owns GC

Post by Knuckles owns GC »

Yeah, I have the same exact problem...
rlbond
Hazed

Post by rlbond »

do you have a software firewall too? is the windows firewall on?
To truly own, you must own at all games.
Knuckles owns GC

Post by Knuckles owns GC »

I don't know about Smeep, buy the only firewall installed on my computer is McAfee, and I've allowed ZSNES.exe all access to the internet...
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

That's great for outbound traffic, but you'll have to either disable the firewall or allow incoming traffic on your forwarded ports. This setting doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ZSNESW.exe's permissions.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Smeep

Post by Smeep »

just to let you all know, there was no problem at my end as I've been able to connect to a different person. The person I was trying to connect with must have been at fault. :D
[url=http://www.paint-zone.co.uk/ball]Click here for paintballing webcomic[/url]
Bauglir

Post by Bauglir »

Ok, I've got the same problem. I'm acting as the server, and my friend as the client. She's behind a router, but I'm not sure if that matters for the client. I'm not, and I'm positive she has the right IP. We wait something like 10 minutes before canceling. I've set my IP to be static, just because for a while I thought I was behind a router and it turned out I wasn't. I was just too lazy to fix that. Anyway, it hangs on the connection. We've tried UDP and TCP/IP, we're both running Windows XP, I've got 1.42 and she's got 1.36, she's on a laptob that has a wired in cable internet connection, and I'm on a tower that has wired cable internet. Any suggestions?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Bauglir wrote:Ok, I've got the same problem. I'm acting as the server, and my friend as the client. She's behind a router, but I'm not sure if that matters for the client. I'm not, and I'm positive she has the right IP. We wait something like 10 minutes before canceling. I've set my IP to be static, just because for a while I thought I was behind a router and it turned out I wasn't. I was just too lazy to fix that. Anyway, it hangs on the connection. We've tried UDP and TCP/IP, we're both running Windows XP, I've got 1.42 and she's got 1.36, she's on a laptob that has a wired in cable internet connection, and I'm on a tower that has wired cable internet. Any suggestions?
The FIRST recomendation on Zsnes' Netplay doc. :
- Both users must use the same version of ZSNES (e.g. If one user has v1.36 while the other has v1.43, the former user should update to v1.43).
You should also port forward both routers.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Bauglir

Post by Bauglir »

Ah. Sorry, I really am. Thank you, I guess I missed that... And she's the only one with a router, but I'll see if I can get hers forwarded.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

Actually, you both should run 1.36. The newer versions have broken Netplay.
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Goat Semacho wrote:The FIRST recomendation on Zsnes' Netplay doc. :
- Both users must use the same version of ZSNES (e.g. If one user has v1.36 while the other has v1.43, the former user should update to v1.43).
Remember, that info is from the 1.43 documentation, which hasn't been officially released yet. So it's natural that Bauglir missed it. ;)
Bauglir

Post by Bauglir »

Actually, that worked. We can't connect via UDP, but I assume that's an ISP problem more than a ZSNES one. TCP/IP works perfectly, if infuriatingly slowly. Thanks.