Nothing works for us, could someone assist us?

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Gii

Nothing works for us, could someone assist us?

Post by Gii »

Hello there everyone,

I'm new here at the boards, but definility no noob at the emulation section. I have played on ZSnes a long time and it never even opposed to me.

Until now...

When I try to netplay everything goes fine. No problems with connecting to Zbattle (or Z-net, I do prefer Zbattle though), I can make rooms, join them etc; no problems at all. I can play with other 'dudes' with (most of the time) no issues. My own internet connection is wireless, which means I connect by means of a USB-lan adapter. This adapter, a SAGEM Wi-Fi 11g USB adapter LAN is working normal and I opened the neccessary ports in my router/modem. But when it comes to play with a friend, which I know personal...then our problems begin.

Before I ask further assistance I do think you (the one that is going to help me, I hope) need to know what we've done, tried, changed, switched etc. already.

We (me and my friend):

- Both opened up our UDP 7845, TCP 4000 and TCP 4398 ports in our routers. My friend has a SMC7004ABR router and I have a Orange Livebox (this is an dutch product, so I'll doubt any of you know this one).

- Both disabled our firewalls (COMODO Firewall Pro), which aren't functioning. But we still opened up the UDP 7845, TCP 4000 and the TCP 4398 ports just in case.

- My friend used a port-forward program 'PFConfig' to adjust his router. PFConfig detects your router and port-forwards the neccessary ports of the most common used programs. And yes, Zbattle and Zsnes where included too.

Furthermore we have tried to connect a million times with the same result. We tried to connect with Zbattle, Z-net and with ZSnes. We do know one thing after all this trying and stuff tough: It has to be my friend his connection blocking something, this we know because I can connect with other people and other PC's in my own house.

When connecting to each other using just ZSnes' Netplay>Internet option, we fail either way. We tried to connect using our public IP-adress, which we recieved from http://www.ipchicken.com and http://www.whatismyipadress.com. We also tried to connect using our private IP-adresses, both our tries ended in the same failure. Nevertheless we tried again, this time using the TCP/IP protocol. Hopefully the Zsnes freezed which means it is trying to connect (so we read in the NETPLAY FAQ from the ZSnes ZIP-file), after a freeze a window pops up.

'Could not connect to the other side'

I am the only one getting that window, my friend does not. Also when we try to connect trough Zbattle, the ZSnes at my side says:

INIT CLIENT...DONE

WAITING FOR CLIENT...

FOUND CLIENT.

I guess it is pretty obvious my PC/ZSnes found my friend but this is what my friend keeps getting:

INIT CLIENT...DONE

CONNECTING TO SERVER...

And then it just stops...like that. We tried to switch positions, meaning he was the host this time and I was the client. The result was just the same but now I got the message 'CONNECTING TO SERVER' and then it stops and my friend got the message 'WAITING FOR CLIENT'. But the thing is, my friend misses the part 'FOUND CLIENT'. At this point we knew that the problem was his connection.

We digged through this forum and saw several suggestions. We tried them but nothing seems to help us. We tried connecting with the ZSnes versions: 1.36, 1.42, 1.42n and 1.43 but all the versions gives us the same, troublesome problem. Now I do think it is weird that we followed every step of the Netplay Guide on this board, but still we booked no succes.

My friend runs on a 2.99GHZ Intel Processor with 512 RAM and a ADSL connection, my PC runs on a 2.89 GHZ Intel Processor with 1024 RAM wireless ADSL connection, so I do not think our PC's are to slow or something. Furthermore I have a picture of my friend his router with the opened ports (for safety reasons I hid his private IP-adress) :

And a picture of my router with the opened ports (And again for my safety I hid my IP-adress):

After all this, we tried connecting another million times until we just went out of ideas. We tried the ideas on this board but nothing seems to help our connection problem. Could someone here please, pretty please help us? I'm sorry for this long post, but we do think now we could get the help we need.

We don't know what to do now anymore.

Thanks in advance.[/i]
You may never know~ what hills...
----------------

-Starcraft Terran Ghost-
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

It looks like you have a good grasp of how to work with your router, but you're only halfway there. You need to fill in the local IP address on the forwarding page with the IP address (192.168.1.xxx according to one of your screenshots) of your computer. Neither screenshot has them filled in. If they are filled in, make sure they match your PC's current IP address, which can change periodically. To find it, click Start, then Run. Type cmd and hit enter, then type in ipconfig.

Generally, you have to forward port 7845 TCP and UDP. Depending on your router, you may be able to specify both in the same rule or you may have to create 2 separate rules for TCP and UDP. It should look something like the following from my router:
Image[/b]
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Gii

Post by Gii »

We've inserted our own IP-addresses in our routers, I just hid them in the image. My own router automatically inputs my own IP-address but the connection problem isn't here, my friend had to insert his IP-address (192.168.2.xxx). We also looked up his IP-address with ipconfig, which I forgot to mention in my first post. We configured his router with the IP-address that ipconfig gave us. The UDP port 7845 was already open, so we opened up the TCP port 7845 too.

After this we tried to connect again with ZSnes' netplay. First we tried to connect with the UDP protocol, without succes. Secondly we tried to connect using the TCP protocol this time. ZSnes freezed a bit but then the familliar window popped up again:

'Could not connect to the other side'

Basically this is what ports are open in our routers now:

-TCP and UDP port 7845
-TCP port 4000
-TCP port 4398

All the ports are with the correct IP-addresses (I didn't have to insert any IP, my router automatically inserts my IP. This is probobly because I'm connected wireless.) recieved from 'ipconfig'.

We still get the same problem:

I can connect to other people, and PC's in my own house, my friend cannot.

I cannot connect with my friend, my friend cannot connect with other people and cannot even connect with PC's in his own house.
----------------

-Starcraft Terran Ghost-
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Make sure he doesn't have the windows firewall turned on. Even if he does have it turned on, he should be able to connect to you using TCP if you host.

Do you both use the same internet provider? Some ISP's in the US, like Comcast, block direct communication between users on the same subnet.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Gii

Post by Gii »

Our Windows firewalls are turned off. If we try to turn them on, windows says it is not wise to activate two firewalls. We do not use the same internet providers either. And it is just as you say; we should be able to connect. ZSnes does not think so however.
----------------

-Starcraft Terran Ghost-
Lentil

Post by Lentil »

Hey, I was looking for solutions to this exact problem, but i see it hasn't been solved, not exactly. Here's my findings:

Friend and I have different ISPs, him cable, mine DSL. He has no router, I have a 2wire wireless router/modem. Ports are forwarded correctly. Both of us run XP with Windows Firewall, which, when prompted, we allowed ZSNES to go through. However, we ran into the same problem with UDP - when I am server, mine idles on "waiting for client" and his on "connecting to server", and when he is server, mine idles on "connecting to server" and his on "client found."

However, when we change to TCP, it will allow us to connect, but only when he is server. So, if a solution for UDP is not found, you could try replicating our conditions (whoever can "find clients" hosts a non-UDP server.) Hope that works for you.

EDIT: I see that you apparently have not forwarded port 7845 under TCP, just UDP. You should do that first.

2ND EDIT: We are not using Zbattle, direct connect only. Worked with 1.36 and 1.42, but crashes repeatedly on my end with 1.42 :(
duffjr
Rookie

Post by duffjr »

There are particular firewalls that won't allow you to connect to zbattle or ZSNES no matter how many ports you enable or if you disable the whole router firewall. I know 2Wire is particular to zbattle, not sure about ZSNES. The Netgear Router WGT624 won't allow you to connect to zbattle but will ZSNES. Your best option as of now would be to directly connect to the modem and then reconnect the router after to allow other users to use the internet.
you're born, you die, and you get to fuck around in between.
Gii

Post by Gii »

@Lentil

Thanks for your help, but we port-forwarded the TCP port 7845 also. We ditched Zbattle a while too, we only try to direct connect now. We haven't tried it lately because of some boring exams but we will shortly. It seems you have some experience with my problem too, care if I add you to MSN, ICQ etc.? It talks better and obviously a lot faster.

@duffjr

You said: "Your best option as of now would be to directly connect to the modem and then reconnect the router after to allow other users to use the internet."

What do you mean by that exactly? My friend uses a SMC7004ABR router, do you have any specific info for that one?
----------------

-Starcraft Terran Ghost-
Lentil

Post by Lentil »

Unfortunately my router is part of my all-in-one modem, so i don't think i can bypass it in any physical capacity. Strangely, i switched to this unit because my old modem would kill my connection if i tried to send or receive anything on instant messengers. I'm not satisfied with "it just doesn't work" though - this thing works fine for absolutely everything else. There has to be an explanation.
Gii

Post by Gii »

True indeed, but it is just as you say; there has to be an explanation. Like you my router is part of a all-in-one modem. (my Livebox) But we (my friend and I) already concluded that the problem is with his connection, as I said in the first post. Moreover we already tried a new thing; we both used a connection trough a local based server, which is kinda annoying to explain. You can see it as a shared router tho, anyway it also failed which was pretty obvious. Currently we are trying our possibilities again, and will continnue to search for the problem.
----------------

-Starcraft Terran Ghost-
Gii

Post by Gii »

We got ZSnes going now. We just random did some crazy stuff and it worked but there is another problem now however. It seems like my friend his router just disconnects him. This happens whenever he stays on netplay with ZSnes for more then 30~45 minutes. We can just restart and reconnect and we got another brief period of the same length. It's not a big problem, but it is pretty annoying though. For the gamers between us, you should know that it sometimes is a problem when you're in the middle of SOM or a similar adventure game. No save point, just entered a boss stage, ventured pretty far and need to go back to town etc.

I don't know if this happened before but I'd like to ask if someone could help me with this one. For any details about our router, CPU and such, please read my first post.
----------------

-Starcraft Terran Ghost-