Help me choose a sound solution

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Help me choose a sound solution

Post by darkbenny »

Hey guys, I've installed Oblivion on one of my main rigs and have noticed some sound problems that I think are associated with my old Sound Blaster Live card. The problems are mostly just missing or muffled sounds, which are a real pain in the ass and detract from the overall experience. I have tried playing with the Oblivion ini file to turn off hardware sound, but so far no difference.

I am currently using an old Sound Blaster Live! Value (one of many that I have), but I have dug through my box of parts and found a SB Live! 5.1 card as well just now. Would the 5.1 card offer any performance enhancements over the Value (I use just a standard two speaker set-up so I am not concerned about surround sound) ?

I am not so sure swapping two similar card would fix my Oblivion problem (the 5.1 can't be THAT different from the Value), but would it add a few fps or some sound "crispness" to music or other games etc?

My other option is to use my motherboard's onboard audio. The mainboard is an Asus A7V400-MX-UAYZ (budget board) with ....

"SoundMAX Digital Audio System"

The SoundMAX Digital Audio System is the industry's highest performance and most reliable audio solution for business professionals, audiophiles, musicians, and gamers. SoundMAX Digital Audio System can output 5.1 channel surround sound and features state lol

I am assuming SoundMax is just a varient of Ac97 audio? I haven't used onboard audio in years, mainly because I have horrible memories associated with it (music stuttering when loading a web page, overall system slowdown). But maybe my Live cards are so antiquated that today's onboard sound is "better"?

Win XP SP2
AMD Sempron 2600+
bringing Zsnes back
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

The SBLive! Value is a cut-down version of the original Live! card; while the Live! 5.1 is a second-generation part. How significant a difference that will make is arguable, but the Live! 5.1 is definitely a more refined piece of hardware. It's also going to give you better performance (and sound quality) than your motherboard's three-year-old ADI codec. My advice is to stick the 5.1 in there and see how it goes.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

odditude wrote:The SBLive! Value is a cut-down version of the original Live! card; while the Live! 5.1 is a second-generation part. How significant a difference that will make is arguable, but the Live! 5.1 is definitely a more refined piece of hardware.
The value version is not that much different the original.. it's just not using the extra hardware. The refinement is not as significant, as the Dolby Digital stuff is all done in software and the 5.1 revision should take analog and digital signals whereas the original did not IIRC.
It's also going to give you better performance (and sound quality) than your motherboard's three-year-old ADI codec. My advice is to stick the 5.1 in there and see how it goes.
Same here. However, if you are performance conscious in games, then the SB Live (either revision) should be better than onboard sound...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

The Live! 5.1 is definitely the better choice, but you have nothing to lose by trying the onboard audio too, just disable it in your BIOS and uninstall the drivers if you decide to not use it. I've been using the onboard audio on my Abit board (nVIDIA SoundStorm with a Realtec 5.1 AC'97 codec) with Oblivion and it runs fine. The sound is definitely not my bottleneck. It's more likely my CPU and video card (an OC'ed Athlon 2500+ and a GeForce 6600GT).

I'm sure you already know this, but Oblivion is a major resource hog. Make sure you disable every background process you can. Setting your virus scanning software to scan on execution only, rather than on every read, or disabling it completely may help too.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

nab a Audigy 2. but before that, make sure your soundcard isn't sharing an IRQ.

unless you are using an nforce2 board with soundstorm on it, you'll get no improvement with the onboard.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

Thanks for the tips boys, I ended up installing some alternate SB Live! drivers Dr. Z pointed me toward and that fixed things up good and proper.

The onboard sound also was problem free, but I lost Fps that I badly needed. I really will have to upgrade my whole PC to really enjoy this game to its fullest.
bringing Zsnes back
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Are those by any chance the kX project ones?... If not, you should try them as well.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Hahaha at your topic title, you pundit!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

AFAIK, there are two SB cards going under the value name.
The first one (which I have) is identical to the other ones you saw, like the X-Gamer edition or whatever, the only differences is what you got in the box, like certain software, or a front panel add on for all kinds of jacks and knobs.
Getting the value of this card is fine, and can generally be located for a steal.

The second one is a completely different card, and doesn't have as good hardware capabilities as the original SB Live.

If you can find the original SB Live Value, go for it, since who really needs the software or the front panel thing anyway.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Cyrus »

IMO just buy a high quality soundcard once and let that be the end of it, as soundcards aren't exactly something that require frequent updates unless you're an insane audiophile. Even then updates are sparse.

I've been using an X-Fi Xtreme Music card for a while now and I've had 0 problems and the quality increase over regular built-on "high quality" sound cards is quite large. I'm not sure about Vista, but in XP Pro SP2 32 I had no problems with sound in Oblivion.