The Super Game Boy DOES work.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ReyVGM
Rookie

The Super Game Boy DOES work.

Post by ReyVGM »

A guy named ugetab made a PAR codes that allow you to load and play with the Super Game Boy. If anyone has tried the SGB rom before, they have noticed that it just sits there.
But with this code you can now load the device and play with the menus.
The guy claims you can load GB games too, but I haven't found out how considering there was no load option on the actual SGB.

PAR codes:
00BE4300
00B8C101
00B11400
00B0AA13
00B0ABAF

Another guy named nensondubois made PAR codes to play with the Super Game Boy 2. I don't know where to find the rom for that one though.

PAR codes:
00BE4300
00B8C101
00B11400
00B0FF05

He made a bunch of other interesting codes too, all of them here:
http://board.gscentral.org/showpost.php ... stcount=12
byuu

Post by byuu »

That's pretty neat that you can get into the menus just by bypassing a few of the hardware checks on startup. Thanks for sharing.
The guy claims you can load GB games too, but I haven't found out how considering there was no load option on the actual SGB.
If you map the GB ROM to the correct range, you could probably get the SGB to recognize it, but playing is out of the question. There are physical Gameboy processors on the SGB board, and you can't dump those to a ROM file. I also doubt that just anybody would be able to map the GB ROM to the correct range, unless they were a SNES emu dev. And that's assuming it's even visible on the SNES bus. It might only be visible to the GB processors.
He made a bunch of other interesting codes too, all of them here:
http://board.gscentral.org/showpost.php ... stcount=12
Sites that force you to register just to view posts can fuck off and die.
Last edited by byuu on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

It does? Damn, sorry about that.

Here's the full post:

"SNES PAR Codes:
Here are some SGB 1 and 2 Codes I hacked with ZSNES (unless noted) and are for the SGB on a SNES with a Pro Action Replay ONLY but could be possibly converted to work with a SNES Game Genie. Some of these codes are garbage, glitches and sometimes enables a useful and or wacky features. These codes work with both Super Gameboy 1 and 2 unless noted. SNES PAR codes that you can convert to game genie.

Ever want to play your Super Gameboy on an emulator? Incredible now you can! (Ridiculous scatting)
Super Gameboy 1 bios playable. (This one was made by ugetab)
00BE4300
00B8C101
00B11400
00B0AA13
00B0ABAF

Did you not know about the Super Gameboy 2 before this and want to play it on an emulator? (It's insane how unknown this game really was until now)
Super Gameboy 2 bios playable. (I made this one)
00BE4300
00B8C101
00B11400
00B0FF05

7E0F0700 - Enable All Menu Options - Note: Makes All Menu Options Enabled for Every game that does not use SGB attract mode (Space Invaders) but disable you options like Animaniacs does

7E034300 - Deep SGB menu sounds - This is the equivalent of accessing all menu commands while SGB music changes by in game.

7E0C25?? - Forces the menu selection to be rerouted. There is only use of this if your gameboy game overrides you ability to make menu selections.
00 - Preset Color options
01 - Preset Border options
02 - Controller Options
03 - Custom Color options
04 - Custom Border options

7E0C05?? 00-10 This code forces the colors to not switch rows only numbers (1-4) The only use this code has is to enable the Color FX if the game does not have one. Once again, here are the values.
00 Color FX
01 Row A
11 Row H

This code make the happy spinning FX kid color selectable/enabled for any game! - Enables color FX mode for all games. Colors appear black.
7E0F0B01

This code make the happy spinning FX kid boder selectable/enabled for any game! - Enables and or makes border FX selectable for any game. border color is the first color selected.
7E0F0C01

7E0FE944 - This code freezes the credits so y'all can read them at your own pace until code is switched off.

18/6/08
This I hacked on June, 18th, 08 and it is my first Super Gameboy 2 Only code. That means there is no coding for what this does on a Super Gameboy 1 so it'll only work with a Super Gameboy 2.
It is a color border modifier for the first border.
7E03D1?? - Here are the color values. Just replace ?? with any number. Also you have to reinstate the border in order for them to take affect and work properly. Now here's your chance to see these colors at boot-up!
00 - Gray (original)
01 - Merlot (weird color with no other name)
02 - Vermilion (Yellow orange mix)
03 - Green (Speermint green)
04 - Blue (Poseidon blue)
05 - Red (Rhodes red)
06 - Reverse (Inverted/inversed original whatever...)
07 - FF - Pre-determined-mono-colored borders

I will not post the Sound effect modifier codes as I do not want people ripping them and submitting them instead of me. I do have the codes though I will release them when I get around to dumping the rest of the sound effects. "
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Newsflash: No one cares.
Sarcasm eludes you.

And no, Super GameBoy does NOT work. Work implies it functions properly. It doesn't.

Edit: Removed misdirected rant.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

He's just posting what the other guy said on the other forum, no need to chastise him for something he isn't even responsible for.
I bring the trouble.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

On ZSNES Board, hatred is a way of life.

It's still stupid, and doesn't mean the SGB works. I apologize for the snide comments about the glitched sound effects. Redirect those to the proper target.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:It's still stupid, and doesn't mean the SGB works. I apologize for the snide comments about the glitched sound effects. Redirect those to the proper target.
it may be stupid, but it's a lot more productive than the weak ass comments that you provide. it's also far beyond your technical knowledge, and something you can't do. he notes in his first post how the unedited rom does nothing, and with these codes you can browse the menus and at least do something with it. so fuck off and die.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:It's still stupid, and doesn't mean the SGB works. I apologize for the snide comments about the glitched sound effects. Redirect those to the proper target.
it may be stupid, but it's a lot more productive than the weak ass comments that you provide. it's also far beyond your technical knowledge, and something you can't do. he notes in his first post how the unedited rom does nothing, and with these codes you can browse the menus and at least do something with it. so fuck off and die.
Love you too.

And my technical knowledge probably would've gotten me somewhere had I actually cared enough to try. But the Super Gameboy isn't very interesting without the ability to run Gameboy games, so we'll never know.

Hell, even a working Super Gameboy isn't THAT interesting most of the time. There's only a handful of games where a SGB isn't a worse option than the GBColor/Advance or GameBoy emulator.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Welcome to the ZSNES boards.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

Ok, I don't know WTF just happened but indeed, those are not my comments, they are from the topic creator on the board I linked to.

There's only a handful of games where a SGB isn't a worse option than the GBColor/Advance or GameBoy emulator.
I taken you've only played a few SGB games?

The Super Gameboy supports well over 500 games with custom borders (something the Gameboy Played lacked), enhanced graphics, enhanced sound effects and music, two control configurations and much more.

Maybe you don't care about all that, but some people do.
And if the Virtual Boy gets love, then the SGB sure as hell will too :twisted:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ReyVGM wrote:Ok, I don't know WTF just happened but indeed, those are not my comments, they are from the topic creator on the board I linked to.

There's only a handful of games where a SGB isn't a worse option than the GBColor/Advance or GameBoy emulator.
I taken you've only played a few SGB games?

The Super Gameboy supports well over 500 games with custom borders (something the Gameboy Played lacked), enhanced graphics, enhanced sound effects and music, two control configurations and much more.

Maybe you don't care about all that, but some people do.
And if the Virtual Boy gets love, then the SGB sure as hell will too :twisted:
Custom borders isn't an amazing thing.

And while I admit to not owning a lot of 8-bit Gameboy titles, most of the SGB support I saw was halfassed.
The games that supported SNES peripherals(including 2-gamepad) and enhanced sound were the minority.

Even high-profile titles like Pokemon and Megaman V(a series almost DEFINED by the protagonist's color) just swapped 4-color pallets with game area and threw up a frame.
Most of the time, the SGB logo on the box just meant a frame and A custom 4-color pallet.

Hell, Nintendo Power even complained about consistently poor SGB support. The corporate mouthpiece was frequently complaining about the fact that the SGB just didn't add anything worthwhile in GameBoy reviews.

And the Virtual Boy is awesome.
If you ask me, it's primary problem was the lack of 3D marketing material. As far as you could tell from ads, it was the "red Gameboy" it's detractors claimed it was.

It's a damn shame that it's death poisoned 3D gaming for the foreseeable future.
ReyVGM
Rookie

Post by ReyVGM »

A lot of Game Boy games specifically made with the Super Game Boy in mind looked almost like a color game. And that's saying much considering GB games aren't made to display more than 4 shades of "color". I don't know what games you've played, but I've played almost the whole GB library and there are a lot of impressive GB games while played on the SGB.

Obviously games made before the SGB aren't going to look as hot.

And considering there aren't that many GB games made with 2 players in mind, it's obvious it wasn't going to always support 2 player gamepads.

You think the Virtual Boy is awesome?
Oh, you're one of those.

Those that in their old and jaded age shun popular things and embrace overlooked ones?
Either that or you're an even bigger Nintendo fanboy than I am :wink:

As for custom borders not being amazing, you're telling me these borders are not beautiful and/or awesome?

Come on, admit it.

I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I really like that one with the gray statues. What game are all of those from?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

ReyVGM wrote:A lot of Game Boy games specifically made with the Super Game Boy in mind looked almost like a color game. And that's saying much considering GB games aren't made to display more than 4 shades of "color". I don't know what games you've played, but I've played almost the whole GB library and there are a lot of impressive GB games while played on the SGB.

Obviously games made before the SGB aren't going to look as hot.

And considering there aren't that many GB games made with 2 players in mind, it's obvious it wasn't going to always support 2 player gamepads.
Let's see... honestly, Pokemon's the only one I really remember. Partially because it's SGB support was so embarrassing.

I purged a bunch of GB games out of my collection. I know I had more SGB games than that.
Megaman V's poor support I saw in reviews.

You think the Virtual Boy is awesome?
Oh, you're one of those.

Those that in their old and jaded age shun popular things and embrace overlooked ones?
Either that or you're an even bigger Nintendo fanboy than I am :wink:
I'm a reformed Nintendo fanboy, and I was never one of the more rabid ones.

I got a VB when it was on clearance.
It's a fun system, and the ONLY 3D system in existence, though the NES, SMS, and Vectrex had poorly-supported 3D expansions. Depth adds a lot to the whole experience, in my opinion.
'S why I HATE 3D platformers. There's no depth cues, and it makes it harder than it should be to judge your jumps, sometimes frustratingly so.

And Wario Land would've been a must-have title on anything else.

Far as shunning popular goes...
My PS1 library is my biggest after the Atari VCS/2600, but most of the 2600 stuff came in bulk acquisitions(and I have dupes out the ass because of it. I have five PacMans! FIVE!).

I just think the VB was never given a fair chance, and had a LOT of untapped potential for raw awesomeness.

Waterworld is as bad as everyone says, though.

Panic Bomber really didn't need a VB port(it's NEAT having the playfield float above the background, but hardly beneficial in this case).

And Red Alarm, despite the attention it received at the time, just doesn't have enough draw distance to be decent. And needs some fucking clipping so you can see what's a cave and what's a wall! ARGRAGARGRAGARG!!!! Worst demo game ever, anyways. And this is in SPITE of my unholy love for wireframe graphics.
As for custom borders not being amazing, you're telling me these borders are not beautiful and/or awesome?

Come on, admit it.
Oh, they're neat all right. The Konami "windowed" ones especially.
What do they add to the game, though?

In the grand scheme of things, I'll take 3-pallet recoloring over a border.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:And Wario Land would've been a must-have title on anything else.
Seconded. That game is amazing.
I bring the trouble.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

the third border at the top right corner of the picture, what game is this from?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

It's that one game, you know, the rpg. Where you die a lot.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the presence of a slime really narrows the choices
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Beautiful and awesome indeed. Looking at them makes me happy.
Somebody post some Kirby borders!
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Ah, the Detective Conan border....I wish I could watch more sub-titled episodes.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

Not sure if you're referring to legal or not-so-legal subs, but if it's the former, I've been hard at work these past few months on a bunch more 8)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Tomato wrote:Not sure if you're referring to legal or not-so-legal subs, but if it's the former, I've been hard at work these past few months on a bunch more 8)
I was referring to the latter, but the former is just as fine. I'm glad that you're still working on episodes at Funimation. The sub-group I was watching the episodes from gave up two years ago so I haven't seen any in a while.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Wait, that series is STILL going in Japan? Holy fuck!

Tomato, did you work on the translation side of the dub, by any chance?
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

sweener2001 wrote:the presence of a slime really narrows the choices
well excuse me that I haven't played many games on the gameboy, let alone SGB

but if I were to take a guess I'd say LoZ: link's awakening (although that's probably a snowball's chance)
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Not even a snowballs chance. That's a Dragon Quest Slime there.

I'm guessing one of the Dragon Quest Monster 2 games, DW/Q1+2 or DW/Q3.