A number of problems

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Centipeed

A number of problems

Post by Centipeed »

Ok, I recently discovered that you can watch videos of snes games with ZSNES... I am not new to the emulator however, just the video watching capabilities.

I downloaded the FF3 and Chrono trigger videos, both of which were recorded on ZSNES 0.989c.

Is 989c compatible with windows? I have windows XP, and when I try to run 989c, it starts up, and displays the "Press "z" to continue" and then wont let me do anything. I press Z, as well as every other key on the keyboard, and it doesn't work. However, I can alt tab out of it, and ctrl alt delete it. Also, I have downloaded Dosbox, and run it (989c) in that, and I can use it fine, it's just a little slow.

On to my next problem: Video playback wont work for me, whatever I try. The video file, as well as the FRM file, and the rom file, are in the same directory, and all have the same name, apart from, of course, the extension. I run Zsnes, go to misc, video Optn, and none of the points (0-9) are active, it displays inactive for all of them. The video file is one large one (84mb) so it should be in slot 0, but it's not. I tried doing this on both the latest version, which I just downloaded, and 0.989c, which I also just downloaded, and which I ran in DosBox...

Please, can someone run me through EXACTLY how to watch a video? Could someone also go as far as to tell me exactly what their working video directory structure is? (ie. Where your emulator is stored, and where the video files are stored, and where the smc files are stored etc)

Thanks
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

First off, use the Windows version of ZSNES if at all possible.

Second, the ZSNES movies that you can watch in ZSNES are nothing but pre-recorded button presses and a bunch of emulator state data. The extension is ZMV.
If a video file is a whopping 84MB, you can't watch it in ZSNES, use a media player instead.

Third, to even watch ZMVs in ZSNES, you need the right game. Make sure the ZMV name matches the rom images name, then start ZSNES and load the game. When the game is running, press ESC, Goto Misc --> Movie Opns, select the right slot and press Play.
Last edited by Agozer on Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Centipeed

Post by Centipeed »

When I downloaded it, it was 1.2mb... It grew to 84 when I uncompressed it. I read that 989c doesn't compress it's movie button presses, so the resulting files are larger, but you can compress them in a zip or rar to deal with that.

The file does have the extension ZMV.

I assume that the version of 0.989c IS the windows version, as it runs, it just doesn't respond to my presses of the Z key at the start.

Also, what do you mean "Get the right game". I assume you mean the corresponding rom? I have that...

Cheers
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Eh, maybe ZSNES moves can be that big, it's been a while since I've fiddled around with that stuff. 84MB just feels ridiculous.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Aerdan
Winter Knight

Post by Aerdan »

Try ZSNES 1.42.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Re: A number of problems

Post by creaothceann »

Centipeed wrote:I press Z, as well as every other key on the keyboard, and it doesn't work.
You have to press the key that is labelled "Z" on an US-style keyboard. It's the first one of the "ZXCVBNM" line.
Centipeed wrote:Also, I have downloaded Dosbox, and run it (989c) in that, and I can use it fine, it's just a little slow.
You could try a higher CPU speed, or the "dynamic" CPU core... To use the config file, use the "-conf <filename>" parameter.
Centipeed wrote:Video playback wont work for me, whatever I try. The video file, as well as the FRM file, and the rom file, are in the same directory, and all have the same name, apart from, of course, the extension. I run Zsnes, go to misc, video Optn, and none of the points (0-9) are active, it displays inactive for all of them. The video file is one large one (84mb) so it should be in slot 0, but it's not. I tried doing this on both the latest version, which I just downloaded, and 0.989c, which I also just downloaded, and which I ran in DosBox...
You don't need the FRM file.
Make sure that the files have a short name (8.3 format). ZMV is slot 0, ZM1 is slot 1 etc.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
kieran_
Mugwump

Re: A number of problems

Post by kieran_ »

creaothceann wrote:
Centipeed wrote:I press Z, as well as every other key on the keyboard, and it doesn't work.
You have to press the key that is labelled "Z" on an US-style keyboard. It's the first one of the "ZXCVBNM" line.
That is a little uncalled for.
Last edited by kieran_ on Fri Feb 25, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Yeah, sorry... Just trying to be clear.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

On a French keyboard you needed to press W instead of Z...
Centipeed

Post by Centipeed »

Thanks, I did however, press literally every key on the keyboard...
So are the zmv files meant to be in the same folder as the rom file? That's the only criteria? Because that's where they are...

And I have it in there, go into Zsnes, and none of the slots under video options are filled

And I have tried Zsnes 1.40
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

They're not supposed to be filled, it's just a slot selector. ZMV = slot 0, ZM1= slot 1, etc.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Do you have the ROM loaded when you check the movie dialog?
Do the DOS filenames match?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Centipeed wrote:Thanks, I did however, press literally every key on the keyboard...
So are the zmv files meant to be in the same folder as the rom file? That's the only criteria? Because that's where they are...

And I have it in there, go into Zsnes, and none of the slots under video options are filled

And I have tried Zsnes 1.40
Did you try 1.42 like what Aerdan suggested?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Centipeed

Post by Centipeed »

Yes, sorry, I meant 1.42... I've tried the latest one and the one that it is meant to be played with... Also, I have the rom loaded, go to the movie options, select 0 (The file is called chrono_t.zmv) and press play, and nothing happens, it just carries on playing the game normally...

Also, yes, the rom does have the same name as the movie file...

I know it's a tall order, but could someone download the 100% completed chrono trigger movie file from zophar, then get it to work, and tell me how they did it exactly? If not, any more suggestions?

Cheers
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Works for me. Put the ZMV in the same directory where your savestates and SRAM go.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Main problem with these old movies is synchronization. Replay should be fine using .989c, but it's DOS-only.
And yes Agozer, ZMVs can be this big. 'Twas just before we started 'compressing' them.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

grinvader wrote: And yes Agozer, ZMVs can be this big. 'Twas just before we started 'compressing' them.
Yeah, I looked at that ~89MB monster a few days back... -_-
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

i remember getting an entire ZMV walkthrough for FFIV from Zophar, and that was prett ymassive, after decompression.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Have you renamed the ZMV and ROM image to match?
ZSNES doesn't know what files relate to what game. It uses file name to tell that.
CTrigger.smc and chrono_t.zmv may be clearly related to you, but not to your computer.
Centipeed

Post by Centipeed »

Agozer: Which version of Zsnes did you use? And what operating system do you have?

Also, do the save states and sram files go anywhere in particular? Right now I have the video files where the roms are, in C:\Emulation\Zsnes\Roms

Cheers

Oh an yes, I have the Rom and ZMV file named the same thing
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Centipeed wrote:Agozer: Which version of Zsnes did you use? And what operating system do you have?

Also, do the save states and sram files go anywhere in particular? Right now I have the video files where the roms are, in C:\Emulation\Zsnes\Roms

Cheers

Oh an yes, I have the Rom and ZMV file named the same thing
I'm running the latest ZSNES WIP, but the ZMVs should work in the latest stable release (1.42) as well.

Savestates and SRAM go to the directory specified in the PATHS window; Zsnes(w).cfg has the line SaveDirectory= which stores the directory path.
If no specific directory has been set, states and SRAM go to wherever Zsnes(w).exe is.

For the record, i'm running Windows XP Home SP1.