Playing SNES games with Zsnes.... CLASSIC STYLE =D!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Cyra

Playing SNES games with Zsnes.... CLASSIC STYLE =D!

Post by Cyra »

Dont know how many of you know about this, but check this out:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=4234&

Image Image
joe_devore
Regular

Post by joe_devore »

Been there, Seen it.
I might get one when I have some free money to spend.
But I like the PS2-->USB just as much if not more.
Because I can confiqure L2 & R2,
as L2 = FastForward
R2 = SaveState.
Very handy.
You cannot do that with a regular old SNES Controller.

EDIT:
When Posting a link do this
TitleofLinkHere
This will cut done the size of your viewed portion of your link,
and add a title that best describes what the link is to.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Been using this for like 6 years.
It even works in DOS and only cost me about $4 worth of spare parts and a controller with a busted end.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

I wish I can make a plug like yours AntoineWG.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

It's easy. I used a crimp-style connector. All you need is a pair of wire strippers and a small pair of pliers. The connector and shell are only a couple of bucks at RadioSuck. Just strip the wire back half an inch or so, stick it inside the pin and crimp the tabs on the pin around the wire. I can dig up plans if you want.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

AntoineWG wrote:It's easy. I used a crimp-style connector. All you need is a pair of wire strippers and a small pair of pliers. The connector and shell are only a couple of bucks at RadioSuck. Just strip the wire back half an inch or so, stick it inside the pin and crimp the tabs on the pin around the wire. I can dig up plans if you want.
That would be nice.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I did simplify the design quite a bit though. I found it sufficient to only power the pad from one data pin, so I eliminated the diodes and attached directly to pin 5 on the connector. (NOTE: If pin 5 alone is not enough and you have to use multiple pins, you absolutely must use the diodes or you risk damaging your parallel port and possibly further damage to your motherboard.) Also, connecting the ground to pins 18 and 19 is also unnecessary as pins 18-25 are all wired to ground. Connecting only to pin 18 is enough.

On my first party controller, the wiring is as follows:
yellow --> pin 2
orange --> pin 3
white --> pin 5
red --> pin 10
brown --> pin 18

The SNES connector is somewhat deceptive. There are only 5 wires in the controller cable. I'm not sure if the other 2 are even connected inside the system.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Thanks for the explaination. I was wondering if this still applies if you're trying to convert the multi-tap.
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

I already posted the instructions for that in a similar thread actually. Mutliple power connections is generally unecesary. If for some reason your parallel port isn't providing the power you need, and you don't want to mess with diodes, you can use your PS2 port. Though then you need to mess with a loose wire.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

I built one that uses the LPT port as well , I also have one of them "TribalTap" things that allowed 6 (Six) players on the SNES. Which then that would allow up to 5 on PC with oen little adapter.

But since I rarely have company over it's not done yet.

I also have built PS2 adapter same way. Works perfectly , full support for duel shock and analog.
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I only have a LPT port version and I wrecked my controller doing it so now I can only use it for that. I took the end off I should have made a plug oh well.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Ouch , I know I will NEVER...... EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER.... Cut up my pad , I hacve use it about lil over a decade now , and it's not a Nintendo pad (which is rare since I prefer 1st party pads) it is the Asciiware AsciiPad
which before I had the female SNES pad ports I just poke pins into the pad.
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Cyra

Post by Cyra »

AntoineWG wrote:Image
I did simplify the design quite a bit though. I found it sufficient to only power the pad from one data pin, so I eliminated the diodes and attached directly to pin 5 on the connector. (NOTE: If pin 5 alone is not enough and you have to use multiple pins, you absolutely must use the diodes or you risk damaging your parallel port and possibly further damage to your motherboard.) Also, connecting the ground to pins 18 and 19 is also unnecessary as pins 18-25 are all wired to ground. Connecting only to pin 18 is enough.

On my first party controller, the wiring is as follows:
yellow --> pin 2
orange --> pin 3
white --> pin 5
red --> pin 10
brown --> pin 18

The SNES connector is somewhat deceptive. There are only 5 wires in the controller cable. I'm not sure if the other 2 are even connected inside the system.
Dont you need drivers for that? How do you get that to work exactly.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

You download drivers.

For Win9x/ME you download Direct Pad Pro

If you use an NT based Windows (NT/XP) get NTPad

They're the same thing by same people , just changed to use properly in each OS.

They support Atari - N64 , so you can have say Genesis pad , or PSX , or even VirtualBoy.
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
aprad046
Rookie

Post by aprad046 »

allright, so I have a Genesis pad. The connector is a 9-pin. I have just installed NTPad
Do I need to makea special cable, or can I just use a standard 9-25 pin converter?
LDAWG
Lurker

Re: Playing SNES games with Zsnes.... CLASSIC STYLE =D!

Post by LDAWG »

Cyra wrote:Dont know how many of you know about this, but check this out:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=4234&

Image Image
Seen it, bought it, done it, threw it in the trash.
It's a piece of sheit.

DO NOT BUY this crappy SNES to USB Adaptor.

It makes the Face Buttons register with Windows INCORRECTLY.
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

wouldn't buy USB anyway.

the size of the case they used could have more than just 1 controller anyway. It's very possible to have 5 in that , which you can do yourself for under $5.
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Kindo

Post by Kindo »

I use the PS2 to USB as well. I make use of all 16 buttons:

Up
Down
Left
Right
Start Select

L1 = L
R1 = R
L2 = Fast Forward
R2 = Turbo B or A
L3 = Save State
R3 = Load State

Cross = B
Square = Y
Triangle = X
Circle = A

: )
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

AntoineWG,
i'm trying to make my snes joypad work with the printer port.
I've soldered the 5 wires from an snes extension cable to a printer plug, just like you did. And i've installed NTpad.
It doesn't work though. I've tried it in Control pad -> Game Controllers. The NTpad XP con forcefeedback shows up, but none of the buttons work.
Did i forget something? Is it supposed to work just like a normal pc joypad. Or am i supposed to install sneskey or anything else??

thx

Edit: i made a photo of it here: http://www.geocities.com/mark7home/
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

It's possible they just aren't connecting properly. If this isn't what you did, make sure there's a length of wire inside the socket, then solder it in.

I can't really tell from the picture, since you removed the tip of the controller, but are you sure you got the right wires?

Also, make sure you've told NTpad to look at the right port, usually LPT1.
Last edited by Spoony on Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=spoony]Immortality[/url]
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

ReRuss wrote:Ouch , I know I will NEVER...... EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER .... Cut up my pad , I hacve use it about lil over a decade now , and it's not a Nintendo pad (which is rare since I prefer 1st party pads) it is the Asciiware AsciiPad
which before I had the female SNES pad ports I just poke pins into the pad.
Why would anyone cut a controller cord instead of using an extension cable? If you modify an extender, you can use it with *any* SNES pad/stick. :roll:

I also love the Asciipad, but it took me awhile to realize that the directional pad is not as accurate as the standard SNES controller (though it *appears* to identical in feel).
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

Sorry about that photo, but it's really hard to make a sharp picture of such a small thing.
Anyway, i resoldered the whole thing but it didn't make any difference... i guess i have to give up for now :cry: .
I'll try it on a Windows98 machine tomorrow instead Windows XP. If that doesn't work then I'll probably try again when i got my hands on some diodes.
Spoony
Hazed

Post by Spoony »

The drivers and the interface work fine on XP, and there's absolutly no reason for you to need diodes. Again, are you sure that you have the correct wires coming from the snes controller? Perhaps something isn't grounded properly.
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

I'm not using a snes controller directly, i'm using a snes extension cable. The colors seem to be connected to the same pins as a normal snes controller so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm 99.9 percent sure that i have the correct wires. I really can't see anything wrong with it...

I don't know much about these kind of things so i can't tell you if it's grounded properly or not :?

btw. i'm using pal joypads, it doesn't make a difference, does it?
i'm going to sleep now, cya
Mark7
Hazed

Post by Mark7 »

i tried it on a Windows 98 and it slightly works on that machine. The B button works, other buttons only work in combination with other buttons... :shock: :?: