Anyone have a need for ZSNES v0.390 circa April 1998 ?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

LDAWG
Lurker

Anyone have a need for ZSNES v0.390 circa April 1998 ?

Post by LDAWG »

Just going through an old hard drive, and low and behold... ZSNES v0.390.

Looks like the oldest version I have.
Does anyone have a need for it?
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/shrine/

See link at the bottom for every version ever released. ;)
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
byuu

Post by byuu »

I must say, v0.150 was a pretty solid first release. Savestates, sound, joypad, 16-bit color add/sub, mode7, etc...
And a whopping 1mb EXE for an app written purely in assembler, home of the 256-byte COM games.
Anyone remember how long ZSNES was in development before that first version was released? And no, the readme doesn't say.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

ZSNES shrine wrote:zsKnight and _Demo_ began this project July 3, 1997. On October 14, 1997, ZSNES 0.150 was released.
LDAWG
Lurker

Post by LDAWG »

blackmyst wrote:http://www.zophar.net/zsnes/shrine/

See link at the bottom for every version ever released. ;)
That's awesome :shock:
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Wow, I think I started using zsnes around .270 or .295
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I got ZSNES when they had transparancies... but started to give a damn when they finally added sound (the thing most of us are probably taking for granted)... Probably between .200 and .300 is when I first used ZSNES... ZSNES mattered more when Snes9x was gone for a while...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

Started using ZSNES when the on;y GUI avail;able was a dinky four command deal

LOAD
CONFIG
(Something I can't remember.
QUIT

Played it with an 8-bit SB Pro, too.
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

I started using ZSNES around the 1.36 release.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kevman
Redneck Gamer-Mod

Post by kevman »

According to this shrine, .915c ran Yoshi's Island. Impressive.

I expected more versions, though. Though the changlogs are very long.

I don't think I started using Zsnes until 1.337. And man, I thought 1.36 was awesome when it came out :P
SHREIK!!!!!!! DDdddnnnnnnaaaa! GESTAHLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Steelers now officially own your ass.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

One day, I shall create a complete snes emulator archive. Perhaps I shall work on it in January. Back in the early days, there was something like about 10 different emulators, but zsnes, snes9x and sneese quickly rose to the top and the others faded to obscurity.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I started using zsnes at version 0.952.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

adventure_of_link wrote:I started using ZSNES around the 1.36 release.
I started on that same version. I guess we came in a bit late. :lol:
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

I beta tested zsnes in late september of '97, and haven't stopped playing it since!
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I don't remember exactly when I discovered ZSNES, but Ithink it was sometime around 1998. I had found NEsticles 6 moths earlier and I was rather fascinated by the fact that you could play old console games on your PC. So I started to think that if the NES was emulated, could the same apply to the SNES as well.

Since I was a seriously Killer Instinct fan, I promply tracked down a rom and an emulator as well; many sites claimed that ZSNES was the most promising.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Agozer wrote:I don't remember exactly when I discovered ZSNES, but Ithink it was sometime around 1998. I had found NEsticles 6 moths earlier and I was rather fascinated by the fact that you could play old console games on your PC. So I started to think that if the NES was emulated, could the same apply to the SNES as well.

Since I was a seriously Killer Instinct fan, I promply tracked down a rom and an emulator as well; many sites claimed that ZSNES was the most promising.
Pretty similar with me. Months earlier a friend showed me Zelda and Final Fantasy with both Nesticle, and iNES. We then found the un-translated FF2 for famicom, and kinda went from there. A while later, I was looking all over and ended up finding snes emulators, and I remember zsnes being the easiest to use by far. And I was wishing I had a faster computer, back in 97-98 was using a 486 DX4 100mhz with 8mb of ram and windows 95. Its funny, in a way, zsnes had fueled my need of buying newer computers for a small while.
darkbenny
Box Car Superhero

Post by darkbenny »

I've ZSNES since around 1998, although I forget the version now.
bringing Zsnes back
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

I started around version 0.6xx... Can't remember clearly which one, but it started with 0.6. :p
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

All I remember is that I started using Zsnes sometime in 1998... I think.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Late 1998, I think.
It was on a Old Win Processor, Barely Played Mega Man X and X2.
Now that I think about it, I had nesticle and no$gb before that ... or was it affter.
Bahamut_ZERO_Clue

Post by Bahamut_ZERO_Clue »

I started I think right before the original Windows version was ever made right during 0.9xx era but very late. I had been using Snes9x, but after the original developer left, they just let it go down the tube and the guy who took over as the main coder was a real character. First my controller went dead or got all wirey and then they made their full screen OpenGL look like it got a bad case of drawfism, and then they really went out of their way to screw up the audio. Not to say they didn't have a few good advancments but sheesh, and yes I know ZSnes, SNEeSe, and Snes9x all share code and developers around, that guy who took over was some kind of maniacal sadist about purified emulation and having everything like the original SNES console... even if it made things broken as crap stinks. I wish that Gary guy hadn't disappeared. Wonder what ever happened to him?

I'm kinda glad I switched to ZSnes anyway. At least I can get 48khz audio without the feedback and the DDraw is fast and reliable and the Interpolation Mode looks nice. Plus ZSnes gets a lot of things Snes9x doesn't get till later on... especially a Linux GUI.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Bahamut_ZERO_939 wrote:that guy who took over was some kind of maniacal sadist about purified emulation and having everything like the original SNES console... even if it made things broken as crap stinks.
You do realise that Zsnes does the same, right? They've pretty much gotten rid of all the hacks lately, leaving some things "broken".

Also, sometimes I wish the devs would just take out the 48000 hz feature just to spite all the whiners who think they can hear the difference, or who think it's better just because the number is higher. But then I realise the whining would reach ungodly proportions.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

I remember using esnes.

late 98 IIRC
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
byuu

Post by byuu »

that guy who took over was some kind of maniacal sadist about purified emulation and having everything like the original SNES console...
Heh, wonder what he thinks of me, then :)
Also, sometimes I wish the devs would just take out the 48000 hz feature just to spite all the whiners who think they can hear the difference, or who think it's better just because the number is higher.
Two options:
The nicer one is to make it output at 32khz anyway, who can really tell, right?
The meaner one is to actually generate the samples at 48khz, meaning the games themselves will run 50% faster than before, but the audio really will be 48khz.

Hmm, I used esnes v0.14(a?) up until snes9x 0.131 dos came out. I thought it was around early-mid 98, but my memory of dates is terrible.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

I can tell the difference between 32 and 44.1. 32 sounds a bit more "muffled". I havn't really been able to notice any difference in quality to 48, so I stick with 44.1