Problems with FE5 (graphics)

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Mhoram

Problems with FE5 (graphics)

Post by Mhoram »

I just found out about a FE5 patch today, so I went and got an FE5 rom and the patch. But when I try to play a game, I get some slight problems...

Image Image Image
If more images, from stat windows or w/e, are neededm I can get them on request.

Anyway, besides the obvious things...besides some being black squares, other characters appear invisible unless the cursor is placed over them (in which case the screwed up stat baloon is appeared). All characters are able to be seen if I begin to perform an action with them. As far as I know, there's no order to who's invisible and who's not...at first I thought it was only lance users (Finn and spearmen in chapter, mainly) but then I noticed that some axemen were invisible while others were not.

It prolly isn't a problem with any particular rom, or at least almost certainly isn't, as I've tried a number of different versions (including different versions from the same website).

This actually really sucks for me. I have a working cart for FE4 (which of course has a working patch and works on ZSNES, making the cart worthless in terms of utility) while I have a broken FE5 cart (don't know why, anyone have any good advice on Super Famicom carts?), and I've never gotten to see any of it in english. If anyone can help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

I haven't actually tried deleting and reinstalling zsnes, but I have erased the config and all that. I'm going to do that now, but I very seriously doubt it's going to work.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I believe this is a known bug and on our todo list.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Jonas Quinn »

It's already fixed.

Code: Select all

r3036 | jbo_85 | 2006-04-18 01:06:20 +0200 (Di, 18 Apr 2006)

Fixed SRAM Mapping. Dezaemon, Tokimeki Memorial, Fire Emblem - Thracia 776 and some others are fixed, now.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Jonas Quinn, aren't those the games that require SRAM mapping to banks $f0-$ff ? If so, won't that break about 20 SNES fighting games? (eg SSF2, KI, Garou, etc)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote:If so, won't that break about 20 SNES fighting games? (eg SSF2, KI, Garou, etc)
The only fighting games we have broken are those that were always broken.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Jonas Quinn »

I changed the LoROM mapping for non-SDD-1 games. Most of those fighters are HiROM. The only game that broke because of that is Ys III.
Mhoram

Post by Mhoram »

All I know is, I deleted Zsnes and downloaded it again just to be sure, and it still doesn't work.

I also tried Snes9x, but that doesn't even manage to load the game. Does anyone know of any other emulators that are able to run FE5? I could just go down the list of zophar's SNES emulators, but I'd rather not bother (laziness).

Is there any cheap way to maybe, like, hook up an SNES to a compy and somehow patch it while it runs through the compy (I really doubt this is at all possible)? I might be able to buy another cart or something, though there aren't any on ebay right now (I only found FE3 and 4, but maybe I missed it).
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Mhoram, it is fixed, but you need to acquire the a WIP past the date Jonas Quinn mentioned of...

Acquire a WIP at http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com

Also note, you should delete the .cfg+.dat files ZSNES generates (it can cause some problems) and savestates will more likely than not work from 1.42 when loaded in the WIPs due to core changes.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Mhoram

Post by Mhoram »

So far, things have progressed somewhat well. The graphics problem is resolved thanks to the WIP thing, and now I've got that site bookmarked too, so more info for me.

((Though it's unfortunate, the older saves do not work with the WIP, at least for me, so I'm keeping an older v. of ZSNES for those))

However, I've hit another block; the patch. The ROM can't load while the patch is "active" (named same as srm file).

I did try the post in your sig, Deathlike, and while I found the revision # for the rom I'm using (1.00) using nsrt (btw i am dumb), I was unable to figure out anything with the patch. The readme doesn't have the info, so I'm posting on the patch topic to try to figure it out (either the maker can tell me the rev. number of patch, or one of the people with a working rom/patch can tell me the rev number for the rom).

EDIT-Everyone, thanks for your help so far.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Mhoram wrote:((Though it's unfortunate, the older saves do not work with the WIP, at least for me, so I'm keeping an older v. of ZSNES for those))
Saves (srm) will work between ZSNES version, savestates will not due to core changes.
However, I've hit another block; the patch. The ROM can't load while the patch is "active" (named same as srm file).
Don't you mean "named similarly"? The patch is supposed to have an ips extension...
I did try the post in your sig, Deathlike, and while I found the revision # for the rom I'm using (1.00) using nsrt (board filter got to you), I was unable to figure out anything with the patch. The readme doesn't have the info, so I'm posting on the patch topic to try to figure it out (either the maker can tell me the rev. number of patch, or one of the people with a working rom/patch can tell me the rev number for the rom).
Most likely the original (1.0)... on the other hand, you might just have to add/remove the header info on the IPS patch.. you can use ipsedit from NSRT to do that (it is explained in the translation thread anyways). On the same note, you have yet to mention if your ROM is NSRT verified... because if it is not, you'll have to obtain a properly dumped ROM (of course, this is all mentioned in the thread in my sig). It is a terrible idea to use a bad dump and then attempt to use any sort of IPS patch.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Mhoram

Post by Mhoram »

Thanks, the problem was that I am a retard, and immediately assumed that some of the instructions were supposed to be done using NSRT or NF. So I was browsing stuff with NF instead of fixing things.

Once I reread the thread I saw the "open cmd" and I realized my error. It's finally all working now, thanks much.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'll have to update that thread because NSRT does have a frontend now.. which makes life easier for most...