Netplay and DOOM question

Want to play with a friend over the net? Find out all the info you need on how to configure your PC, network and of course ZSNES. Also the correct place to find people to play with and what software they use.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Gibaholic

Netplay and DOOM question

Post by Gibaholic »

I read a wikipedia article on the xband online game service for snes the otherday, and it said that you could play DOOM 1v1 deathmatch over the net with it. so I've wondered, can you do the same with zsnes? Why would one want to I have no idea since there are pc ports, but just curious.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Yes, you can do netplay in ZSNES.

As long as you use old versions, that is, which sometimes have desync issues.
It's been disabled pending the new CPU core in ZSNES and a future recode of netplay itself.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Firon wrote:Yes, you can do netplay in ZSNES.

It's been disabled pending the new CPU core in ZSNES and a future recode of netplay itself.
What? He is asking about xband service, related to DOOM, not about zsnes' integrated netplay.

As far as I know, if the game doesn't have 2-player built-in. You won't be able to netplay with zsnes.

Unless there are plans to add Xband, I don't know.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gibaholic

Post by Gibaholic »

Joe Camacho wrote:

What? He is asking about xband service, related to DOOM, not about zsnes' integrated netplay.

As far as I know, if the game doesn't have 2-player built-in. You won't be able to netplay with zsnes.

How did xBand manage to implement netplay to begin with?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Gibaholic wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:

How did xBand manage to implement netplay to begin with?
I can't say.. There have been a couple of threads about Xband, if you want to read them, please use the search funtion.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Joe Camacho wrote:What? He is asking about xband service, related to DOOM, not about zsnes' integrated netplay.
Whoops.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I would hazard a guess that it would be done with some form of softpatching the ROM. The Xband service would probably download a patch for the game you were trying to play online, and it would soft-patch. It would probably be as similar as the Secret of Evermore two player patch. The only issue is that this must be done per-game that do not have native 2 player capability. Those games that already have the capability for two players or more probably wouldn't need this (it would use the existing hardware in some way and still might need a patch).

Romhackers would probably tell you that making a game support two players natively isn't a simple tweak..
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Vigorousjammer
Rookie

Post by Vigorousjammer »

*ahem* PC PORTS?! .... they aren't ports! the game originated on the PC!
but, i'm just beign nitpicky, lol :P
::END OF TRANSMISSION::
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Actually, anything available today is a port. The game was originally a DOS game that was playable on a 386. There are still versions available at retail that were ported to run on Windows natively. In other words, if you don't need DOSBox or VDMSound to play it, it's a port.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Skiessi
Rookie

Post by Skiessi »

I think Doom95 is the port closest to not being a port and you can play it on XP. And it supports DirectPlay enough to play DM in LAN.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Skiessi wrote:I think Doom95 is the port closest to not being a port and you can play it on XP. And it supports DirectPlay enough to play DM in LAN.
Mmm... it is a official port for Windows. Too bad it is an awful port (well it is old) since mouse support doesn't quite work under non-9x OSes.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...