What's going on with kode54's VBA builds?

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

85cocoa
Hazed

What's going on with kode54's VBA builds?

Post by 85cocoa »

Are they still being updated, or have the changes been incorporated into the official VisualBoyAdvance (or some other unofficial build)?
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky]Pocky[/url] & [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky]Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_%26_Rocky]Pocky & Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28series%29#Animals.2FMobians]Pocky & Rocky[/url]?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

IIRC, "there wasn't anything new".
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

VBA development in general seems to have slowed to a crawl ever since Forgotten left. Has there been much effort to merge all the different builds floating around?
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Yep, I think the last updated build was VBA-S by Spacy that was based on 1.8.0 and after he quitted now it seems there is nobody working on it.Too bad. I wish there was a dedicated team working on it , just like in Zsnes, because I am mostly into GBA emulation after Snes emulation
xamenus wrote:VBA development in general seems to have slowed to a crawl ever since Forgotten left. Has there been much effort to merge all the different builds floating around?
Kode54's build had sound interpolation if I remember right, and it was a very good development in the VBA scene
VBA Re-recording has hq(x)xS filters which seem to be even better than regular hq(x)x filters, especially in preventing blockiness
It'd be great if these features could be packed in a new version. And better optimized performance..
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

VBA k54 also had a nice LCD filter and better PSG sound emulation.
VBA Spacy had a better DirectX 9-based renderer.
VBA link (also dead) had awesome 4-player link support.
Spacy discontinued VBA-S to work on the official VBA code,but no news of him since he made the switch.

No$GBA is a pretty good GBA emu,just too bad the sound plain sucks.Especially in games such as FF4,which sound downright terrible.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

In a nutshell, that would mean there are no active GBA emulation projects at the moment, unless there's some private project going on somewhere (I don't count VGBA really as one, as it is shareware).
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

I tried playing the FFVI port on the 'latest' version of VBA and it sounded terrible. Not just lesser quality (which was expected with a port such as this) but it had all sorts of garish audio artifacts.

With them not bothering to update it, I could force myself to sit through all the audio torture to replay the game.

That and for some reason the game is still fresh in my mind, even 7+ years later.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I guess you will have to pony up for the actual cart.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

kick wrote:No$GBA is a pretty good GBA emu,just too bad the sound plain sucks.Especially in games such as FF4,which sound downright terrible.
Lots of the sound issues are port/hardware related.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Magus`
Cap'n Gin | Admin

Post by Magus` »

badinsults wrote:I guess you will have to pony up for the actual cart.
Nah, it's not worth the cost to me. I've already played the game and I'm not gonna spend money for a few updates.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Magus` wrote:I tried playing the FFVI port on the 'latest' version of VBA and it sounded terrible. Not just lesser quality (which was expected with a port such as this) but it had all sorts of garish audio artifacts.

With them not bothering to update it, I could force myself to sit through all the audio torture to replay the game.

That and for some reason the game is still fresh in my mind, even 7+ years later.
The game was suffering some sound glitches with low quality sound quality for me on 1.8.0.3 (latest official release) But In VBA-S and VBA Re-Recording it seems to run fine.Make sure you set the throttle to 'no throttle'. It may sometimes make sound very poor.
Snes version is too superior imho. Both sound quality and 'Original' Dialogs...
not modified. I noticed a few. For example

In Original Snes version Terra says (In Edgar's Castle)
An ordinary girl might find her attractive.(not %100 sure about this one)
-But I'm not a normal girl

in VBA...
-But not me

The dialog at the tavern about Shadow
Snes
Edgar: - He cut his own mother's throat for a few bucks

VBA
-He can kill his friends for few bucks

Reminds me of 4Kids Dubs of One Piece
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Isn't she talking about Edgar in the first quote? (that is, wouldn't she say something like "An ordinary girl might find him attractive."?)
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

SonGoku1905 wrote:

The dialog at the tavern about Shadow
Snes
Edgar: - He cut his own mother's throat for a few bucks

VBA
-He can kill his friends for few bucks
Actually what Shadow says is he'd "Slit his own mother's throat for a NICKLE "if you want to put it literally. And I'm sure they don't use currency as bucks or dollar bills in that game. Since bucks is paper back and Final Fantasy refers to currency as GP or Gil, I'm sure they'd throw a coin like a nickle in there as 5GP mabye.
DataPath
Lurker

Speaking of Kode54's VBA builds

Post by DataPath »

Does anyone have trouble with sound stuttering on VBA linux?

ZSNES works alright, but VBA is giving me stuttering.

If I throttle the sound between 100% and 200%, then it's a lot better, but unthrottled, it's really bad.

I've been looking through the sound code, and there's not a lot of it. All I can figure is that there must be some kind of consumer/producer problem.

I'm going to try to wrap my head around it tomorrow, but if anybody has any ideas, I'd be happy to hear them.