HD DVD is officially dead

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote:movie cubes would be so star trek. i'd love it. except for the cost.
Indeed.
We need holo-storage now.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

grinvader wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:Blu Ray is certainly a completely new kind of technology.
Disagreement: changing the wavelength of the reading beam is everything but a COMPLETELY NEW KIND OF TECHNOLOGY.
HD-DVD stuff was also mainly a change in wavelength.

It's the same physical laws, the same results, same limitations, same everything. You just pump the beam energy up which narrows it down.
Big fucking whoop.

New technology would either be holo-based (but using it on discs SUCKS - real holo owns with volume, not surface) or an improved remake of the old punch-card (tunnel effect to read the surface of a material thermically manipulable, huge amount of bytes per square inch in tests, however quite delicate and not up to release by far).
I think I agree here. The fundamental technology haven't changed since the CD days when optical media was becoming an established technology. DVD and now BluRay/HD-DVD are really just extensions and/or improvements to the original technology. Nice improvements yes, but not a revolution of a new technology.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm glad HD-DVD won.
Alternate Reality post.

Maybe blu-ray will end up like laser disc. Marketed to the rich that can afford it.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

doubtful.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Nightcrawler wrote:
grinvader wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:Blu Ray is certainly a completely new kind of technology.
Disagreement: changing the wavelength of the reading beam is everything but a COMPLETELY NEW KIND OF TECHNOLOGY.
HD-DVD stuff was also mainly a change in wavelength.

It's the same physical laws, the same results, same limitations, same everything. You just pump the beam energy up which narrows it down.
Big fucking whoop.

New technology would either be holo-based (but using it on discs SUCKS - real holo owns with volume, not surface) or an improved remake of the old punch-card (tunnel effect to read the surface of a material thermically manipulable, huge amount of bytes per square inch in tests, however quite delicate and not up to release by far).
I think I agree here. The fundamental technology haven't changed since the CD days when optical media was becoming an established technology. DVD and now BluRay/HD-DVD are really just extensions and/or improvements to the original technology. Nice improvements yes, but not a revolution of a new technology.
ok guys, not trying to make a point, but as I understand it, it's slightly more a deviation off of the path than HD-DVD, but not that much, and not like it matters.

@Metatron

don't worry, they'll eventually get backwards compatability worked out, be a cheap ass like me and wait till they are dirt cheap. My friend got an absolute steal right after thanksgiving though he got an 80 gig for $300, someone at the store seriously fucked up.

@sweener2001

do you really still put that much stock in the FF series? I don't know man....
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the FF series is the only reason sony still has a gaming console. the psx would not have been so succesful if VII hadn't come around for it.

and mgs has never really held my interest. which leaves FFXIII. and i do like my traditional, old-school rpg.

and this is coming from someone who was all about some ct hack?
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweener2001 wrote:the FF series is the only reason sony still has a gaming console. the psx would not have been so successful if VII hadn't come around for it.

and mgs has never really held my interest. which leaves FFXIII. and i do like my traditional, old-school rpg.

and this is coming from someone who was all about some ct hack?
ha ha, I wasn't "all about some ct hack" I was just looking for a fight. (aka intellectual debate as I don't really like assumptions, funny as I am making an assumption about FFXIII here based on recent history, oh the irony)

btw I like old school rpgs, which is exactly why I'm starting to loose faith in the FF series with a lot of the old developers gone, and the last several games IMO being lack luster ( I don't feel like one should purchase a game just because the series has a big name), feel free to PM me, I'd rather not start a FF debate in a blue ray zone.

in addition, those are not the only two series that were good on PSX, it wouldn't have been enough, and this is coming from a Saturn fan during "teh console wars"
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Disgaea 3

my head hurts if i think too much about it

won't get a console for one game
won't get a console for one game
won't get a console for one game...

But 3 would probably work.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

gta is coming to the 360.

whatever their shooter is, i'm not so interested. none of the other big name franchises really held my interest, or they're coming to the 360 anyway.

and that ct thread was a joke.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

sweener2001 wrote:which leaves FFXIII. and i do like my traditional, old-school rpg.
I don't know, FFXIII doesn't look so traditional to me.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

which part, as there are more than one game under the FFXIII moniker
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

sweener2001 wrote:which part, as there are more than one game under the FFXIII moniker
The one with Lightning in it.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

is that versus, where shiva is a motorcycle?

i'm talking strictly FFXIII, which does appear to be pretty traditional.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

no, he said FF XIII so he means FF XIII

not Versus, not Agito

FF XIII is the one with Lightning as the main character (in the stead of Cloud, Squall, and Tidus)
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

my bad. i haven't been doing much "keeping up" with those games, as i don't have the console.

but why bring up agito? that's for mobile phones. how would a mobile phone game convince me to buy a ps3?

and why give me examples of main characters? i know what a main character is, and who they were in which games. at least for 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10, anyway.

it was a nice try, but i actually concede when i'm wrong.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I said versus and agito because they are the only other official FF XII game properties (aka the only other games you could mean when saying FF XIII)

I mentioned those specific main characters because they all have names based on elemental weather

cloud (a cloud) squall ( a storm) tidus (tide, as in ocean) lightning, you get the picture, likely because they have largely the same teams, I was mentioning it because of the link with the name of this main character and those.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

sweener2001 wrote:i'm talking strictly FFXIII, which does appear to be pretty traditional.
I forgot to mention what wasn't traditional about FFXIII and it's the battle system. From that really old trailer, it didn't seem FFXIII will have a turn-based kind of gameplay. I know FFXII tried to turn away from the turned-based thing using some real-time elements, but even that looked like it was still turned-based.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

alright, then.

i've only seen screenshots from EGM, and they didn't go all that in-depth, since there's next to nothing to report; but i just remember those shots somehow making me think it was more traditional. but being a FF, i still don't see it breaking too far.

but that could be wishful thinking.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

if FF12 wanted to turn away from turn-based and have real-action battling, they should've did something similar to either Secret of Mana or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

FF12 is turn based, there just isn't a separate battle field, and you can run around while waiting for your turn. it's like kotor, almost. sounds closer to parasite eve, though.

apparently the HD-DVD add-on for 360 is going for as low as 50 bucks now.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

sweener2001 wrote:FF12 is turn based, there just isn't a separate battle field, and you can run around while waiting for your turn. it's like kotor, almost. sounds closer to parasite eve, though.

apparently the HD-DVD add-on for 360 is going for as low as 50 bucks now.
IT IS?

Looks like I need a PS2 now.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

sweener2001 wrote:apparently the HD-DVD add-on for 360 is going for as low as 50 bucks now.
It is, but buying it is sunk cost. It's just not worth it.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

depends how you look at it.

because the HD-DVD stuff is going out, it will be dirt cheap. if you're fine with two players, it wouldn't be awful. i might buy one more movie. but i'm only talking in the case of the add-on, so i'm referring to a very small group of people that probably wouldn't mind.

it's not like my player will magically stop working.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Panzer88 wrote: @Metatron

don't worry, they'll eventually get backwards compatability worked out, be a cheap ass like me and wait till they are dirt cheap. My friend got an absolute steal right after thanksgiving though he got an 80 gig for $300, someone at the store seriously fucked up.
PS2-style backwards compatibility isa Big Deal for me as my room is not that large, so yeah. Software compat will just be bad, no two ways about it no?

Say, is PS3 backwards-compatrible with PSX too?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Metatron wrote: Say, is PS3 backwards-compatrible with PSX too?
Yes.
Even the PS2-less ones can run PS1 games.